About Fraternity and Sorority Life
NIU is home to 42 social fraternities and sororities. There are more than 1,600 members in our Greek community. Fraternities and sororities are often referred to as "Greek Life" on college campuses.
- The use of Greek letters by organizations dates back to the founding of the first fraternities in the 1700s.
- Each letter stands for a part of an organization's motto.
- The meanings of the mottos are revealed when you join an organization.
All Greek-letter organizations are founded on three main principles that help students navigate life at college:
- Academic achievement/scholastic excellence.
- Service to the greater community.
- Bonding through brotherhood or sisterhood.