Theatre Arts Camp
July 9-14, 2023 Grades 6-12 (grade completion)
Join us at Theatre Arts Camp for a week packed with exciting theatre activities! Each day, you'll rehearse for a production and perform it for your family and friends at the end of the week.
Other activities you'll enjoy include:
- Daily workshops
- Acting classes
- Theatre games
- Improvisation exercises
- All campers will receive a camp t-shirt.
You'll stay in Neptune Hall during camp. We'll send you a packet of camp information in early June.
2023 Camp Theme: "How Far You’ll Go!"
What to Bring Checklist
- Comfortable/sturdy closed-toe shoes required in classes
- Shower sandals (optional)
- Note: Flip flops are not allowed in classes and are only allowed in the residence hall
- Umbrella or rain gear
- Mosquito repellent
- Alarm clock
- Water bottle
- Sheets and pillowcase (standard twin size)
- Towels, blanket, pillow
- Small amount of money for souvenirs and snacks
- $200 key deposit: an envelope with check/cash/money order with the camper’s name on the outside
Campers are encouraged to bring a favorite t-shirt, from a show they have been in, or that represents a favorite character or theme from Theatre or Film, to wear on Monday.
- Improvisation exercises: Learn how to think on your feet and warm up for the day's activities.
- Acting scenes: Work on specific acting techniques and exercises.
- Production rehearsals: You'll be assigned to a production and rehearse with the same group and director all week.
- Workshops: You'll participate in a different workshop each day. We’ll send information about choosing workshops about a month before the start of camp.
- Talent show (optional): Show your stuff! There's a three-minute time limit on performances.
- Paint it together! Water balloon mural painting on Steven’s lawn.
- Choose your own adventure: movie night or field night!
- Bowling and games at the Huskie Den!
- Counselor groups: Break out into smaller, more intimate communities for decompression after a great day.
Early bird registration fee: $700 (postmarked June 1 or earlier)
Registration fee: $750
Registration Deadline: June 21, 2023
Returning camper and NIU family discount: $25 (for campers who have previously attended Theatre Camp, and the children and grandchildren of NIU students, staff and faculty members)
Camp fills quickly, so register early! You can register online or by mail. You'll pay a $100 deposit when you register (unless applying for a summer camp scholarship). The remaining balance is due on June 15.
Need-based scholarship assistance is available!
Replacement key cards and deposit: all campers must bring a deposit to the first day of camp to be given a key to their room. These funds will not be deposited but will be held by the Summer in the Arts office in the case of a lost key. The funds will be deposited only in the case that a key is lost. Key deposits are returned to campers when they return their room keys at camp check out.
- The deposit can be check, money order or cash.
- Please put the deposit in an envelope with the camper’s name
- Deposit amount: $200
NIU theater faculty member Bethany Mangum-Oles directs our wonderful camp staff. Staff members include talented NIU faculty and students, alumni, and guest artists. The ratio of campers to staff members is about 12:1. Staff are assigned to each residence hall floor and accompany campers to all meals and activities.
- Savannah-Lee Mumford, head counselor
- Avery Flores
- Ashley-Marie Chavez
- Ua Smith
- Gina Cioffi
- Jack Gordon
- Shannon Austin-Goodin
- Tyler Page
A general overview of the camp schedule is below. You'll receive a more detailed schedule when you check in.
|Date and Time||Activity||Location|
O'Connell Theatre (Stevens Building)
Sunday to Friday