Theatre Arts Camp
July 10-15, 2022 Grades 6-12 (grade completion)
Join us at Theatre Arts Camp for a week packed with exciting theatre activities! Each day, you'll rehearse for a production and perform it for your family and friends at the end of the week.
Other activities you'll enjoy include:
- Daily workshops
- Acting classes
- Theatre games
- Improvisation exercises
- All campers will receive a camp t-shirt.
You'll stay in Neptune Hall during camp. We'll send you a packet of camp information in early June.
2022 Camp Theme: "Putting it Together!"
Creating original work with your peers in the theatre isn't new. However, taking inspiration from a famous lyric by the late Stephen Sondheim and creating original work with your peers is! Come collaborate, play and explore what it means to truly be 'putting it together' in any and all ways your beautiful imaginations can take you!
What to Bring Checklist
- Comfortable/sturdy closed-toe shoes required in classes
- Shower sandals (optional)
- Note: Flip flops are not allowed in classes and are only allowed in the residence hall
- Umbrella or rain gear
- Mosquito repellent
- Alarm clock
- Water bottle
- Sheets and pillowcase (standard twin size)
- Towels, blanket, pillow
- Small amount of money for souvenirs and snacks
- $175 key deposit: an envelope with check/cash/money order with the camper’s name on the outside
Campers are encouraged to bring a favorite t-shirt, from a show they have been in, or that represents a favorite character or theme from Theatre or Film, to wear on Monday.
- Improvisation exercises: Learn how to think on your feet and warm up for the day's activities.
- Acting scenes: Work on specific acting techniques and exercises.
- Production rehearsals: You'll be assigned to a production and rehearse with the same group and director all week.
- Workshops: You'll participate in a different workshop each day. We’ll send information about choosing workshops about a month before the start of camp.
- Talent show (optional): Show your stuff! There's a three-minute time limit on performances.
- Paint it together! Water balloon mural painting on Steven’s lawn.
- Choose your own adventure: movie night or field night!
- Bowling and games at the Huskie Den!
- Counselor groups: Break out into smaller, more intimate communities for decompression after a great day.
Early bird registration fee: $650 (postmarked June 1 or earlier)
Registration fee: $700
Registration Deadline: June 22, 2022
Returning camper and NIU family discount: $25 (for campers who have previously attended Theatre Camp, and the children and grandchildren of NIU students, staff and faculty members)
Camp fills quickly, so register early! You can register online or by mail. You'll pay a $100 deposit when you register (unless applying for a summer camp scholarship). The remaining balance is due on June 15.
Need-based scholarship assistance is available!
Replacement key cards and deposit: all campers must bring a deposit to the first day of camp to be given a key to their room. These funds will not be deposited but will be held by the Summer in the Arts office in the case of a lost key. The funds will be deposited only in the case that a key is lost. Key deposits are returned to campers when they return their room keys at camp check out.
- The deposit can be check, money order or cash.
- Please put the deposit in an envelope with the camper’s name
- Deposit amount: $175
NIU theater faculty member Bethany Mangum-Oles directs our wonderful camp staff. Staff members include talented NIU faculty and students, alumni, and guest artists. The ratio of campers to staff members is about 12:1. Staff are assigned to each residence hall floor and accompany campers to all meals and activities.
- Savannah-Lee Mumford, head counselor
- Makenzie Weatherford
- Ashley-Marie Chavez
- Ua Smith
- Sophia Arnold
- Jack Gordon
- Shannon Austin-Goodin
- Taryn Sarto
A general overview of the camp schedule is below. You'll receive a more detailed schedule when you check in.
|Date and Time||Activity||Location|
Sunday, July 10
Sunday, July 10
O'Connell Theatre (Stevens Building)
Sunday, July 10 to Friday, July 15
Friday, July 15
- Summer in the Arts
Contact UsCollege of Visual and Performing Arts
Office of External Programs
Music Building 132
Online Office HoursMonday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
(lunch from noon – 1 p.m.)
To protect the safety of our staff, students and families, we will operate remotely until further notice. Our staff will be available at their remote offices during normal NIU business hours and can be contacted via phone or email.Join Our Camps Mailing List