Forms and Policies
- Cost Quotation Summary Form (PDF, use Adobe Reader to fill and save)
- Vendor Log (PDF, use Adobe Reader to fill and save)
- NIU Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) Cost Share Template (DOC)
- Subrecipient Commitment Form - Part I(PDF)
- Subrecipient Commitment Form - Part II (PDF)
- Grant Funded Working Fund Request (PDF)
- Request to Add Grant Account to P-Card (PDF)
- Cost Transfer Request (PDF)
- COVID 19 Travel Certification Form (PDF)
Training Materials and Presentations
Get guidance on SPA policies and NIU research policies pertaining to the grant proposal process and fiscal and managerial aspects of awards.
Sponsored Funding and Research Administration Policies
- Budgeting Indirect Costs (PDF)
- Budgeting Tuition Remission (PDF)
- Charging Costs to an Award Prior to Award Acceptance (PDF)
- Cost Sharing (PDF)
- Cost Transfers (PDF)
- Deadlines for Submitting Proposals for External Funding (PDF)
- Domestic and Foreign Travel for Sponsored Programs (PDF)
- Indirect Cost Distribution (PDF)
- Managing Participant Support Costs (PDF)
- Managing Project Changes (PDF)
- Managing Residual Funds (PDF)
- PI and Co-PI Eligibility, Roles, and Responsibilities (PDF)
- Purchasing Goods and Services with Federal Funds (PDF)
- Quick Guide and FAQs - Purchasing Goods and Services with Federal Funds (PDF)
- Subrecipient Monitoring (PDF)
Research and Research Integrity Policies
- Conflict of Interest
- Institutional Animal Care and Use (IACUC)
- Intellectual Property and Patents
- Protection of Human Subjects in Research (IRB)
- Research Integrity
The federal government has a vested interest in the responsible management of the grants process from beginning to end. This section links to federal policies surrounding the allocation of grant funds and the research enterprise.
A summary of the changes in Federal regulations that apply to grants and cooperative agreements and how NIU is responding to them.
Federal Uniform Guidance Date: 11/17/2014
Guidance on budgeting and charging small electronic computing devices (e.g. iPads) on sponsored projects.
Guidance on budgeting and charging administrative and clerical salaries on sponsored projects.
Federal regulations 2 C.F.R. Part 220, Cost Principles for Educational Institutions and 31 U.S.C. Section 1352, Byrd Amendment. This section explains the university's responsibilities under federal lobbying regulations as they relate to federal proposals and awards.
Federal Lobbying Policy (PDF) Date: 4/17/2014
The principle rules outlining federal procurement (contract) actions.
The Excluded Parties List identifies those parties excluded throughout the U.S. Government from receiving Federal contracts or certain subcontracts and from certain types of Federal financial and nonfinancial assistance and benefits.
Travel under federal awards must comply with the Fly American Act.
The Bureau of Industry and Security is charged with the development, implementation and interpretation of U.S. export control policy for dual-use commodities, software, and technology.
The Office of Foreign Asset Control administers and enforces economic sanctions programs primarily against countries and groups of individuals, such as terrorists and narcotics traffickers.
Foreign travel under federal awards must comply with both NIU and federal Foreign Per Diem Rates at put forth by the U.S. Department of State.
Federal Research Sponsors Rules and Regulations
- Department of Education Grants and Contracts (ED.gov)
- Department of Energy (DOE)--Grant Rules, Regulations, and Guidance
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)--Laws and Regulations
- NIH (National Institutes of Health) Grants Policy & Guidances
- NSF National Science Foundation) Policies & Procedures
- NSF Grant and Agreement Conditions
- ONR (Office of Naval Research) Research Grant Terms & Conditions
- US Army Research Office
- US Department of Agriculture (USDA)
Contact UsSponsored Programs Administration
203 Lowden Hall
Northern Illinois University
DeKalb, IL 60115-2828