File a Sexual Misconduct Report or Complaint

Sexual misconduct may be reported to the university using this form. Sexual misconduct includes sexual assault, dating violence, domestic violence, stalking, sexual harassment or gender harassment.

Please make sure to read the differences between filing a report and complaint prior to your submission.

When to submit a sexual misconduct report:

  • If you are reporting actual or suspected sexual misconduct that someone else experienced.
  • If you are unsure if you want to pursue an investigation at this time, but are interested in receiving supportive measures.
    • Supportive measures are available on a confidential basis.

When to submit a sexual misconduct complaint:

  • If you are reporting sexual misconduct that you experienced and
  • You would like to begin the university's formal grievance process (including an investigation).

If you prefer to file a complaint anonymously or confidentially:

  • Email the Title IX coordinator at instead of filing a complaint.
  • However, please note that the university's ability to respond to an anonymous or confidential complaint is limited.

Filing a report or complaint does not constitute filing a police report. To file an official police report, please contact the NIU Department of Police and Public Safety (for incidents occurring on campus) at 815-753-1212 or DeKalb Police Department (for incidents occurring off campus) at 815-748-8400.

Learn more about helpful advocacy services for students and employees in the Sexual Misconduct Policy.