NIU Sociology Department Teaching Certificate
To achieve the NIU Sociology department teaching certificate, you need to build a teaching portfolio that includes the following:
- A teaching certificate from the NIU faculty development, which requires that you:
- Attend one of the two (Teaching Assistant) TA orientations, held just before the start of each semester.
- Attend five additional TA classes over the course of one year.
- Develop your own syllabus for a SOCI 170 course, including reading and assignments.
- Compose your teaching philosophy and how you would integrate that into SOCI 170.
- Guest lecture two times in SOCI 170 courses on two different topics, with faculty evaluations of these lectures (provide letters of evaluation from faculty).