Find Outside Scholarships
With hundreds of helpful sites, the internet can be a wonderful resource in your search for scholarships. When navigating the web, keep a few things in mind:
- Provide yourself with enough time (you may want to set aside an hour or two a day until you feel as though you've found the information that you need). You will find that each site offers a number of links. Be sure to check out any and all leads.
- Revisit sites periodically. Many sites continually update information.
- Be discerning. Not all of the sites and services are as helpful or as valuable as others.
- Use the bulletin boards to post questions. You'll be amazed at what you can learn from others in your same situation!
- If you register for a service on-line, be certain that you are submitting information over a secured site (check the lower left corner of the screen for a small padlock symbol).
- Avoid sites that require a registration fee. With all of the resources available on the internet and elsewhere, it is not necessary to pay for help. All of the information is already at your fingertips!
- Be cautious of guarantees and money-back offers.
You will also want to check with the following resources outside of NIU:
- Your high school guidance counselor or college advisor
- Employers (both yours and your parents').
- Local organizations or affiliations (Kiwanis, 4-H, Lions Club).
- Places of personal volunteerism (local hospitals, clubs, etc.).
- Your church.
- Chamber of Commerce.
- Local library - There are numerous reference books on scholarships and foundations.
- The internet.
- Newspapers - Watch for firms or organizations offering scholarships as well as listings of local students who have won.
- Yellow Pages - Find out if any professional/social organizations have chapters in your area.
Additional Scholarship Resources
- College, College Scholarship, and Financial Aid Page
- College Connection
- College Zone
- FinAid! The Smart Guide to Financial Aid
- Financial Aid for Graduate or Professional Students
- Financial Aid Opportunities for Individuals with Disabilities and Health Conditions
- GoodCall Scholarship Search Engine
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund
- Illinois Legislative Black Caucus Foundation
- Minority Students: A Guide to College Affordability
- O'Brien-Vrba Scholarship Trust Program
- Scholarship America
- Scholarships and Grants for Asian-American Students
- Scholarships for Black College Students
- The Princeton Review
Outside Scholarship Checks
If you have received an outside scholarship, please ask the organization or donor to send a check made payable to NIU, along with your name and student ZID number, to the following address:
Northern Illinois University
Swen Parson Hall 245
DeKalb, IL 60115