Theatre Arts Camp Junior Online
July 11-16, 2021 Grades 6-9 (grade completion)
Theatre Camp is returning online for 2021! Join us for a week of exciting theatre content with talented counselors and a very creative community of young artists! Camp Director Bethany Mangum-Oles and her staff have crafted a full schedule including:
- Fun theatre classes
- Exciting workshops
- Online production rehearsals
- A Friday evening online video performance
- All campers will receive a camp T-shirt.
- Campers will need access to the internet and a computer, tablet or laptop with both camera and microphone capability.
- Camp content will be delivered via Zoom, an online video-conferencing platform.
- Zoom training will be provided on the first day of camp.
- Campers will also need a quiet, movement-friendly space in which to work for classes and rehearsals.
- Camp staff will guide the set-up of this "personal home studio space".
Campers are encouraged to wear a favorite t-shirt (from a show they have been in, or that represents a favorite character) on Monday. Campers are also encouraged to creatively dress up for the dance party/game night on Thursday.
- Warmup exercises: See the whole camp on one screen as a fun, high-energy warm-up gets us ready for the day.
- Acting scenes: Work on specific acting techniques and exercises through scene work.
- Production rehearsals: You'll be assigned to a production and rehearse with the same group and director all week. All rehearsals culminate in an online video performance for family and friends on Friday evening.
- Workshops: You can participate in a different workshop each day! You'll receive information about choosing workshops about a month before the start of camp.
- Talent show (optional): You get three minutes to show your stuff!
- Netflix party: Watch a movie with the whole camp! Bring snacks!
- Dance party/game night: Take your pick! Dress up to hang out for a fun night with new friends.
- Counselor groups: Break out into smaller, more intimate communities for decompression after a great day.
Registration fee: $350
Registration Deadline: June 21, 2021
Returning camper and NIU family discount: $25 (for campers who have previously attended Theatre Camp, and the children and grandchildren of NIU students, staff and faculty members)
You can register online or by mail. You'll pay a $100 deposit when you register (unless applying for a summer camp scholarship). The remaining balance is due on June 15. Need-based scholarship assistance is available!
NIU theater faculty member, Bethany Mangum-Oles, directs our wonderful camp staff. Staff members include talented NIU faculty and students, alumni, guest artists and area teachers. Staff members are assigned to each Zoom classroom and accompany campers through all online activities of the week.
A general overview of the camp schedule is below.
|Sunday||3 p.m.||Group tech session with camp staff|
|4-5 p.m.||Production assignments and meet and greet.|
|Monday - Thursday||10 a.m. - 5 p.m.||
Camp activities (lunch break noon-2 p.m., dinner break 5-7 p.m.)
|7-9 p.m.||Evening activities - talent show, movie night, etc. (optional)|
|Friday||10 a.m.-5 p.m.||Camp activities (lunch break noon-2 p.m., dinner break 4:30-6 p.m.)|
|6:30-8 p.m.||Live performance on Zoom|
- Summer in the Arts
Contact UsCollege of Visual and Performing Arts
Office of External Programs
Music Building 132
Online Office HoursMonday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
(lunch from noon – 1 p.m.)
To protect the safety of our staff, students and families, we will operate remotely until further notice. Our staff will be available at their remote offices during normal NIU business hours and can be contacted via phone or email.Join Our Camps Mailing List