|Department:||Art and Design Education|
|Office Location:||Art Building, room 201G|
- Ph.D. Secondary Art Education, University of Alberta 1976
- M.A. Art education, University of Calgary, 1973
- B. Ed.Art education, University of Calgary, 1972
- Diploma Art Education, National Art School, Sydney 1968
- NSW Teachers Certificate (Primary Education), Wagga Wagga, 1962
- ARTE 387/687 - Evaluation and Assessment of the Visual Arts in Education
- ARTE 685 - Research Readings in Art Education
- ARTE 342/542 - Introduction to Art Education
- Risk taking as part of the creative process for senior high school students.
- Moderation models for the development of valid and reliable assessment data in the visual arts.
Three co-edited books A monograph, twenty book chapters and more than eighty articles on the topics of art education curriculum policy, assessment, and multiculturalism including articles published in Chinese, Portuguese, Dutch, Greek and Slovenian languages.
- Beyond Multicultural Art Education: International Perspectives. In the Series European Studies in Education, Volume 12, (with Rachel Mason), Waxmann Munster, NY and München, Berlin 1999.
- Evaluating Art Education Programs in Community Centers: International Perspectives of Conception and Practice. Vol 4 in Series Advances in Program Evaluation. (With Kristin Condon) Robert E Stake, series Editor. Connecticut, USA: JAI Press 1998.
- Evaluating and Assessing the Visual Arts in Education: International Perspectives. (With Elliot Eisner and Johan Ligtvoet) NY: Teachers College Press 1996 Monograph
- Evaluation and Assessment of Visual Arts Education. Geelong: Deakin University Press 1994
- Assessment of Student Art Learning. In International Encyclopedia of Art and Design Education, (Vol. 2) Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley and Sons, Inc (In Press).
- Research Themes in Art Education: Making Sense of the Discipline. In Kathy Miraglia and Cathy Smilan, Inquiry in Action: Paradigms, Methodologies and Perspectives in Art Education. Reston VA, NAEA Press 2014.
- Assessment of Performance in the Visual Arts: What, How, and Why. In Karpati, A., Gaul, E. (Eds.) : From Child Art to Visual Culture of Youth - New Models and Tools for Assessment of Learning and Creation in Art Education. Intellect Press, Bristol, UK.
- The Value of Portfolio Data in Action Research. In Sheri Klein (Ed.) Action Research Methods: Plain and Simple Palgrave Macmillan: New York, NY 2012
- The Seven Defining Characteristics of a Visual Culture Approach to Art Education. In Titika Salla (Ed.) Contemporary Approaches in Art Education. Nissos Publications, Athens, Greece. Pp 23-36. (Published in English and Greek) 2011
- The Shaping of Visual Arts in Education. In Bob Moon, Miriam Ben-Peretz, and Sally Brown, (Eds) Routledge International Companion to Education. London: Routledge 2000.
- Risk Taking and the Assessment of Creative Learning. Deltio Ekpaidfektikou Provlimatismou kai Epikoinonias. Athens, Greece. No 57.
- The Curriculum as a Work of Art: Conceptualizing Change in the Context of Social Transformation, Anadolu Journal of Educational Sciences International, Eskisehir, Turkey. Vol 5, No 3. Art Education Special Issue. 2015.
- Curriculum Reform , Creativity, and Assessment in the Visual Arts, ANZAAE Journal Volume 21 (2) ANZAAE Conference Proceedings (2011) ISSN: 1175-6500 Aotearoa New Zealand Association of Art Educators 16 December.
- Boughton, D. (2005). From Fine Art to Visual Culture: assessment and the changing role of art education. International Journal of Education through Art. Vol 1, No 3. 211-223.
- Higher Education Art Educator of the Year, National Award National Art Education Association (NAEA) 2017.
- Higher Education Art Educator of the Year: Illinois Art Education Association (IAEA) 2015.
- Edwin Ziegfeld Award: For outstanding contribution to international art education. Awarded by the United States Society for Education Through Art, March, 2006.
- Distinguished Visiting Professor. The Daxia Forum Lecture For the Humanities and Social Sciences at East China University, Shanghai 2005.
- NAEA Distinguished Fellow: National Art Education Association. 2004
- Studies in Art Education Invited Lecture Award. Presented by the editorial board for consistent contributions through published literature to the direction and scope of the profession. 1997
- Head, Art and Design Education program at NIU.
- Chair, Distinguished Fellow of the NAEA (National Art Education Association).
- World President of InSEA (International Society for Education through Art).
- Chief Examiner Visual Arts for the International Baccalaureate Organization.
- Director, School of Art, Northern Illinois University.
- Head, Department of Art, Salisbury College of Advanced Education, South Australia.
- Head, School of art and Design Education University of South Australia.
- Foundation Director, National Art Education Research Council -Australian Institute of Art Education.
- Consulting Professor in Art Education to the Institute of Education in Hong Kong.
International Keynotes, Public Lectures and Invited Addresses
- Keynote Address - Risky Business: The Arts and Creative Production in Schools. Annual Spotlight on the Arts Conference Theme: Creativity and the Art of Taking Risks. Palais Des Congrès, Montréal, 2016.
- Invited Presentation - Risk Taking and the Future of Assessment in Art and Design Education. Conference "Art and Education: Teaching and Pedagogical Approaches for the School in the 21st Century", Onassis Cultural Centre, 2015.
- Public Lecture - Assessment Issues in Art Education, 2014.
- Keynote Address - The Curriculum as a Work of Art: Conceptualizing Change in the Context of Social Transformation. Anadolu International Symposium on Arts Education. Andolu University, Eskisehir, 2014.
- Opening Keynote Issues in Art and Design Assessment , Assessment in Art and Design Education. National College of Art and Design, University College, Dublin, 2014.
- Keynote Address - The Value of Portfolio Data in Action Research National Changhua University of Education Sisterhood Conference for Graduate Students, 2012.
- Keynote Presentation - Evaluating Art Learning in Higher Education: Madness, Myths, and Survival Inaugural National Assessment in the Arts Conference, Rocky Mountain College of Art and Design, 2011.