Why Study English at NIU?
We offer a major leading to a Bachelor of Arts degree. As an English major, you’ll choose one of three tracks:
- Studies in literature traces the development of British, American, and world culture and thought, from the earliest years to the most recent. This track leads you to many career possibilities where the ability to read closely, interpret productively, think critically, and speak and write persuasively are essential skills.
- Secondary licensure in English language arts prepares you to teach grades nine through 12. Students interested in teaching English in grades five through eight should fulfill the specified requirements for middle school licensure in English language arts. Students from other subject areas may choose to fulfill the requirements for educator licensure in English language arts as an additional endorsement.
- Studies in writing includes internship opportunities in professional writing, and editing on campus or with local businesses, companies and organizations. You may receive credit and, in some cases, payment for these internships.
In addition, a certificate in undergraduate study in creative writing is available for our students in English or other majors.
Careers with an English Degree
With your English degree, offers to a wide range of career and post-graduate opportunities abound. Many graduates from our English program go on to be writers, editors, publishers and teachers.
View our careers and opportunities section of what recent grads are doing with their degree.
Our dedicated faculty specialize in a variety of fields, such as:
- Creative writing
- Literary and critical theory
- Literature and film
- English education
- Women’s literature in English
- Multicultural American literature
- 18th century British
- 19th century British
- 20th and 21st century British
- Earlier American literature
- Later American literature
Hands-on Learning Opportunities
We provide internship programs which enable you to apply your writing, editing, training and research skills within a company or organization while earning college credit. You’ll have access to a variety of professional resources, and have the opportunity to join one of our student organizations to get the most of your education: