Poster and Chalk Policy
Organization and Student Involvement Suite (OASIS) staff must approve all posters before they are placed on campus bulletin boards. Only Student Government Association (SGA) recognized student organizations in good standing and university departments may request approval to place posters on campus bulletin boards. Posters will be granted an approved posting time of up to one month. Electronic stamps for posters can be received by emailing your poster to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A minimum of two (2) copies of your poster must be provided for approval.
- One copy will be kept on file in the Organization and Student Involvement Suite (OASIS), HSC Lower Level.
- An item is considered a poster if it is one page and is no larger than 24" x 24".
- The full name of the sponsoring organization or university department must be clearly identified on the face of the poster. (Acronyms and Greek symbols can only be used when in conjunction with the full name of the organization.)
- Contact information (phone, email or website where this information can be found) must be included on the face of the poster.
- We strongly encourage you to add the following language to your poster to provide more inclusive programming on campus: "For more information and if you need an interpreter or additional assistance, please contact: (insert contact name and number/email of event coordinator)."
- If you are promoting an event, activity or meeting, your poster should include the date, time and location.
- Posters indicating in writing or by illustration the serving of alcoholic beverages must contain a statement that "no one under 21 years of age will be served; IDs will be checked." No reference to alcohol abuse will be allowed (all you can drink, drinking contests, etc.)
- The relative size of the print advertisement or logo of a commercial sponsor shall be 1/3 or less in size of the event program, organization, or department being advertised and positioned in the lower 1/3 of the poster.
- Posters printed in a language other than English must include an English translation on the face of the poster.
- An individual requesting poster approval for Student Government Association elections must have approval from the Student Government Association elections commissioner before OASIS can approve the request.
- In order to maintain the natural beauty of the campus and to preserve the quality of buildings and grounds, approved posters may only be placed on bulletin boards provided for this purpose in university buildings. (Do not place posters on bulletin boards designated for university departments.)
- Only one type of each poster may be posted on each bulletin board and it may not be placed as to cover other posters. Items may only be posted with pushpins or tacks.
- Holmes Student Center campus dining clerk must be contacted at 815-753-6546 and will advise regarding the table tent policy for the Holmes Student Center.
- In residence halls, approved posters are to be delivered to the main desk of each hall at least 24-hours prior to the day the materials are to be posted. The main desk will further advise on their posting policy (policies differ from hall to hall). Please abide by each policy.
- For the Huskie Line buses, approved posters may be posted only within the overhead advertising frames on the inside of any bus. Contact the Student Government Association at 815-753-0483 with questions.
- OASIS staff may withhold approval for any poster deemed to be obscene, offensive or discriminatory to a portion of the university community, or which advertises an event that is illegal or unlawful. The decision may be appealed to the associate vice president for Student Affairs and dean of students.
- Failure to obtain approval for posters or the posting of posters on objects other than appropriate bulletin boards may result in the loss of an organization's/department's privilege of poster approval. Any poster deemed inappropriate must be removed by the organization/department in question, within 24-hours of notification. Repeated violations of this policy may result in the loss of the organization's/department's status and the adjudication of individuals.
- Unauthorized posting of signage is in direct violation of the Student Code of Conduct, Article III., 25 "Posting of Signage: Failure to post signage in accordance with established procedures of the specific building is prohibited." Violators will be forwarded to Student Conduct.
Chalking on Campus
Chalking is permitted on concrete sidewalks only, using washable non-toxic chalk - no other writing materials are allowed. Failure to follow these guidelines may result in the removal of writings and may be subject to fees involved with removal.
Revised October 2020