Here's the reality: Crime can happen no matter where you live. At NIU, we'll keep you informed about any incidents that occur on or near campus and help you learn how to protect yourself. You can help create a safe environment for yourself and others by following these tips:
- Download the NIU Safe App. The NIU Safe app strives to keep everyone safe by sending NIU Alerts, Safety Warnings and Community Awareness Messages directly to subscribed phones. The app also provides safety features for students and employees, available 24/7.
- Lock your car doors and close the windows. Keep valuables out of sight.
- Lock the doors and windows in your residence hall room, apartment or house. Don't prop open the door to your room or an exterior door.
- Make sure classroom facilities are secured after use.
- Don't leave your belongings unattended. Mark your valuables with identifying information. Register your electronic devices with the NIU Department of Police and Public Safety.
- Keep your bicycle securely locked. Register your bike with the NIU Department of Police and Public Safety.
- Make decisions about alcohol and drug use that keep you and others safe. Don't accept any substances from casual acquaintances or strangers,
- Tell a friend or family member where you're going and when you plan to return.
- Have emergency contacts in your phone. It's one of the first locations first responders check in an emergency.
- Walk with a friend or in a group along a well-lit route when out at night. You can also use the walking escort feature in the NIU Safe App.
- Stay aware of your surroundings. Listening to music or using your phone can distract you from people or vehicles around you.
- Learn where Community Safety Centers are located around campus.
- Attend a self-defense seminar to educate yourself and participate in hands-on training.
Learn about R.A.D. training
It's On Us
See Something? Say Something.
- Report criminal behavior to the campus police.
- We want to know if there is something or someone that causes you concern. Please report information via the NIU Safe App or call 815-753-TIPS (8477) to provide information that may help the police prevent or solve crimes. You'll remain anonymous, and if your tip results in an arrest or university judicial action, you'll be eligible for a cash reward.
- Give us your suggestions for improving building and campus safety. You might notice a streetlight that isn't working, for example, or some overgrown bushes that are hard to see around. Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org calling 815-753-1741.