Emergency Versus Non-Emergency
At the NIU Department of Police and Public Safety, we don’t want you to be afraid to call us because you aren’t sure if you should.
It is common for people to be unsure if they have an emergency. Generally speaking, an emergency is a serious, unexpected, and often dangerous situation requiring immediate action and that may result in personal injury or damage to property. If you need help immediately, call 911.
If you want to report something that can wait a few minutes, please call the non-emergency number, 815-753-1212.
We appreciate your concern and encourage you to reserve the emergency 911 lines for those who need immediate assistance.
- Emergency Information
- Report an Emergency
- Emergency Versus Non-Emergency
- NIU Emergency Response Guide
- NIU Safety Notifications
- Register for Safety Notifications
- Update Your Emergency Contact Information
- NIU Weather Information
- Illinois Road Conditions
- Illinois Emergency Management Agency
- Federal Emergency Management Agency
- Department of Homeland Security
In case of emergency: Call 911
Non-Emergency Phone Number: 815-753-1212