- NIU Department of Police and Public Safety
- Vision, Mission and Values
Vision, Mission and Values
The Northern Illinois University Department of Police and Public Safety is devoted to the relentless pursuit of excellence in service to our campus community and the broader DeKalb community. We recognize our responsibility to provide safety and security to the students, staff, faculty, and visitors on our campus, and we will continually seek to build partnerships while moving toward our goal of being a model police department.
Our mission is to serve and protect the university community in support of the advancement of knowledge and student-career and life success. NIU focuses on an educational experience that prepares students with a broad set of rich liberal arts knowledge and skills as well as depth in their disciplinary interests. We intend to see that our students can pursue this experience with an abiding sense of security. We accept our stewardship with pride, serving others with integrity, honor, and the highest ethical standards to maintain public confidence and to protect our community. The department uses a collaborative approach to proactively address public safety issues such as crime and the fear of crime.
Standards of ethical behavior in law enforcement are based on the commitment to follow core values rooted in the history of policing and public safety. To realize our vision and accomplish our mission we "C.A.R.E." and hold these values as our basis for ethically inspired leadership.
- Commitment: We are committed to providing exceptional service to our community through teamwork, engagement, and listening in an open exchange of ideas.
- Accountability: We are accountable to our community and will maintain the highest standards of integrity by taking responsibility for our actions and promoting excellence in service to others.
- Respect: We respect the socially rich and diverse people that we serve by treating all people with fairness and dignity. We also recognize that our greatest resource is our people and that our commitment to excellence in service is achieved by having a work environment of trust and mutual respect.
- Education: We will proactively educate the community in crime prevention and personal safety, empowering people to have a shared responsibility for safety and security in the community.
In case of emergency: Call 911
Non-Emergency Phone Number: 815-753-1212