- NIU Department of Police and Public Safety
- Public Information
- Football Game Tailgating
Football Game Tailgating
Are you planning on tailgating before the big game? Here are a few things you need to know before you head over to the stadium.
The student tailgate area is in the southwest corner of the East lawn. It will be enclosed by barricades except for two entrances. All activities permitted in the previous location are permitted in the new location and controlled by students.
- To enter the student tailgate area, show either a OneCard, game ticket or student guest ticket. Student guest tickets are $10 and are available at the ticket office.
- To exit the tailgate area, students go through the stadium to either stay for the game or leave.
- Tailgating is allowed as soon as the parking lots open.
- Tailgating is not allowed past game time.
- Plastic bottles and cans are allowed. Glass containers, kegs and party balls are strictly prohibited.
- Small grills are allowed but fryer and fire pits are not permitted.
- Beer can be brought into the tailgate area but not into the stadium.
- Please use the trash cans and used charcoal cans located in each parking area to help keep the area clean.
- Personal music devices and radios are allowed at your tailgate party. They must be confined to your tailgate area and must not interfere with others. DJs and large speaker set-ups are not allowed in the parking lots. All portable music must be turned off by game time.
- No tailgating can be done on any part of a vehicle higher than the bed of a pickup truck and all equipment not placed on the ground must be secured so it cannot fall off.
- NIU is a smoke-free campus. However, smoking is permitted in your vehicle as long as it does not impact others.
Tailgaters are encouraged to contact NIU Police at 815-753-1212 when another tailgate party becomes a nuisance because of loud music or behavior that interferes with other guests.
For more information on NIU football and Huskie athletics, visit www.niuhuskies.com.
Students park free in Lot K with a student ID.
Student groups need parking passes for tailgate-related vehicles. Fifty passes are available. Passes cost $25 for the season. Tailgate vehicles must be parked and in place between five hours and three hours before kickoff. After that, they will be directed to Lot K.
Donor parking is in the north half of the East Lawn.
Donor RV parking is in the grass area north of the softball field along Lucinda, enter between softball and the grass lawn area.
In case of emergency: Call 911
Non-Emergency Phone Number: 815-753-1212