- Apply for admission and be accepted into the University Honors Program
- Remain in good standing with the program
How to Sign Up
Log into Campus Housing Sign Up and follow the instructions for selecting a new room and meal plan. If you meet the above requirements, you will be able to select a room in the Honors House. Note that depending on the time of the year, room selection may be unavailable to you. Learn more about the room selection timeline.
Students interested in living in the Honors House Living-Learning Community must apply for admission and be accepted into the University Honors Program. University Honors Program eligibility will be confirmed before a student is given access to select a room in the Honors House. Please review the complete list of requirements to retain residency in the Honors House.
The University Honors Program has created an extraordinary learning environment with special events that include:
- Career-building opportunities
- Excursions in the DeKalb-Sycamore and Chicagoland areas
- Academic and professional development workshops
- Unique cultural and community-building experiences
Honors House is located in NIU's New Residence Hall and features 12-person "cluster-style" living. The Honors House occupies up to 200 beds in the East Residential Hall, which sits closest to Annie Glidden Road. With one of the highest returning residential rates and students who live in Honors House for all four years, we know that our programs, opportunities, and Living-Learning Community are providing our students with a distinct advantage.
We encourage any University Honors student to consider Honors House as their housing option.
- Early move-in for first-year students going on the Lorado Taft Retreat
- Semester trips to sporting events, plays, activities, and cultural attractions
- Dedicated University Honors faculty advisors and staff
For More Information
Other Learning Community Opportunities
Interested in also taking small classes with like-minded peers focused on a particular theme? You might also be interested in Themed Learning Communities.