Career Development for Honors Students
As a University Honors student, you can take advantage of many opportunities to build your professional skills. You have access to internship and externship programs, as well as a Professional Development Boot Camp. These programs will give you a head start on reaching your career goals.
Professional Development Boot Camp
This program is offered in partnership with Career Services. This Professional Development Bootcamp consists of a series of activities that you complete over the course of a semester. Activities include preparing for and attending a career fair and practicing your interview skills. By participating in the boot camp, you'll build a solid foundation for career success. You will also earn Honors Engaged credit.
This opportunity is typically offered every semester, and you must sign up by the end of the second week of the semester. Go to your Suitable app where you will be able to find the Professional Development Boot Camp Honors Engaged option, with all the deadlines and requirements listed.
Job Shadow Program
Sign up for the University Honors Job Shadow Program through which NIU alumni provide current NIU Honors students with the opportunity to test drive a day in the life of their career, either virtually or in person. Completing the Job Shadow Program earns you an Honors Engaged experience.
How to Participate
A new application cycle will open in October 2022. Please log into your Suitable app and apply to participate.
Matches are not necessarily available for every applicant, and there is no guarantee that there is a host for your career path. If you receive a match, the program requires you to:
- Attend a student training session in mid-November
- Research and prepare to make the most of your experience
- Communicate consistently and effectively with shadow experienced mentor
- Participate in the program kickoff event in January
- Complete the shadowing experience responsibly, including the required post-experience reflection
Forage is a free and open-access online library of employer-designed job simulations. Develop your skills and gain a real understanding of different roles and sectors by working through self-paced modules, tackling tasks that mirror what you'd do if you were a real employee for that company.
During the program, you will work through a set of materials and tasks set by the company, which are designed to replicate the sort of work that you would undertake as an intern or graduate. All of our programs are self-paced (taking between five to six hours to complete) ensuring that you can fit your participation flexibly around other commitments.
These programs include:
- Video instructions and materials created by employees within your chosen organization
- Work that reflects real day-to-day tasks of interns and graduates
- The chance to compare your work with that of a graduate at your chosen organization
What are the benefits?
- Sample what work is like at leading companies
- Discover career paths that you may not have previously considered
- Build confidence and gain skills to get you "work-ready"