Northern Illinois University is recognized by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching in the category of Research Universities (high research activity). NIU also is among a small percentage of public institutions designated as Innovation and Economic Prosperity Universities by the Association of Public and Land-grant Universities (APLU). The designation acknowledges universities working with public and private sector partners in their states and regions to support economic development.
You can tour one or more of the following facilities on the NIU DeKalb campus:
- Davis Hall Observatory- View the moon, stars and planets. We offer public viewing hours or you can schedule a field trip just for your class, school or group.
- Engineering Labs - We have 35 laboratories on campus where our students get hands-on experience in digital signal processing, ergonomics, microelectronics, vibrations, welding and robotics.
- Biology Facilities - From greenhouses and herbariums to core microscopy and anatomy labs, discover biology studey in action.
- Chemistry and Biochemisty Facilities - Learn how high-end instrumentation helps our faculty and students perform exciting research in our electronics shop, machine shop and analytical labs.
- Physics Labs - Our teaching physics laboratories help students learn optics, mechanics, electronics and modern physics.
- Geographic and Atmospheric Labs - Our labs provide real world experiences in meteorology, geovisual mapping, soil analysis, and biogeography. We're also home to the National Weather Service Cooperative Weather Station.
Tours are included with your registration.
Learn more about NIU’s Division of Research and Innovation Partnerships.