Student Engagement Fund
The Student Engagement Fund is a collaborative effort by the Office of Student Engagement and Experiential Learning (OSEEL) and the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS) to provide funding for students working on faculty-mentored research projects and to support undergraduate student engagement projects.
Requests can be made to cover compensation for undergraduate students and/or for student expenses associated with engaged learning projects, or a combination thereof. Students and faculty can apply for funding under one of the two categories listed below.
- Mentored student research projects: Funding for undergraduate research projects initiated by students or faculty to cover a student’s compensation (paid assistantship position) and research related expenses for equipment, software, travel, etc.
- Mentored community-based research projects: Funding for undergraduate community-based research projects initiated by students or faculty to cover a student’s compensation (paid assistantship position) and research related expenses for equipment, software, travel, etc.
Additionally, students from CLAS can apply for funding to support travel abroad with the following categories:
- NIU faculty-led study abroad programs and field schools (domestic and abroad): Funding can cover expenses for students participating in a study abroad program. Please note CLAS students are able to apply for this support prior to December 9 deadline.
- Travel to conferences or competitions, group travel for class activity: Funding can cover travel expenses incurred by the students. Projects may be mentored by faculty or staff, as appropriate. (All CLAS undergraduates and faculty are eligible to apply for funding in this category.)
Do not hesitate to contact us for more detailed information about the Student Engagement Fund.
- Student Engagement Fund (SEF)
- Undergraduate Research
Office of Student Engagement and Experiential Learning
Altgeld Hall 100
Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.