Summer Research Opportunities Program
Beginning summer 2020, this program will no longer be offered. We encourage you to reach out to your department or college to see if there are additional summer research opportunities available.
The Summer Research Opportunities Program (SROP) gives NIU undergraduate students the opportunity to conduct paid, faculty-mentored, research during the summer months. Students of diverse backgrounds, including underrepresented minority students, students from economically disadvantaged and underserved backgrounds and students with disabilities, are encouraged to apply.
In SROP, you will:
- Learn what research looks like in your field of study
- Learn how to write a formal research proposal
- Gain experience working alongside talented faculty at NIU
- Attend professional and academic enrichment activities
- Receive a $3,500 stipend and optional free on-campus housing
- Commit to full-time research (Approximately 40 hours/week)
- Present at the Summer Research Symposium
- Participate in supplemental activities (weekly workshops/meetings) to enhance your program experience
- Communicate frequently with our staff and your faculty mentor
Office of Student Engagement and Experiential Learning
Altgeld Hall 100
Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.