Documentation and Accommodations

You have championed and advocated for your student, in most cases, throughout their entire life. You have become educated and learned problem-solving skills. The journey has been filled with accomplishments, setbacks and hurdles.

College is the time when your student builds the skills needed for lifelong self-advocacy. It is important that your student start doing for themselves what you have been doing all along. In most cases, your student is not fully aware of all that has been done for him/her.

Make sure your student knows what you have learned about their disability. Share what you did in past situations to solve problems. Over time your student will learn the skills they need to be their own best advocate.

How to Request Accommodations

Your student's Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or 504 Plan may not be considered documentation of a disability.

To receive accommodations, your student needs to register with the DRC. Once your student is registered, they will be contacted by an access consultant to make an appointment to discuss accommodations, services and what, if any, documentation is needed. Accommodations are determined on a case by case basis depending on the student's disability and the course requirements.

Accommodations provide access to the curriculum but do not change the curriculum. The curriculum is set by the individual instructor. The DRC will focus on how the student can access the curriculum and demonstrate what they know.

Contact Us

Disability Resource Center
Peters Campus Life Building, Suite 180
8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
815-753-9570 (fax)
Back to top