News and Events
- Congratulations to Conner Fastenau, who has received the 2021-2022 Myers Award for outstanding achievement in graduate study in philosophy.
- Congratulations to Russell Guilbault (M.A., 2021) for receiving the Graduate School’s Outstanding Graduate Student Award, in recognition of exceptional achievement in research and scholarly activity.
- In an interview with NIU Today, alumnus Jim Morris (’72) explains how his NIU philosophy degree prepared him for a successful career in advertising. Morris is the author of Badvertising: An Exposé of Insipid, Insufferable, Ineffective Advertising
- Congratulations to senior philosophy major DeVonté Fuller, who has received a 2021 Deans’ Award from the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Prof. Lenny Clapp has received a 2021 Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Award, marking the second consecutive year in which a philosophy faculty member has won this university-wide award.
- Renee Jorgensen Bolinger (M.A., 2012), who created the above picture of the Philosophy Department faculty and the Philosopher Portraits series, just had her paper "The Pragmatics of Slurs" published in Noûs. Renee is currently enrolled in the Ph.D. program in philosophy at University of Southern California.
- Andrew Chapman (M.A., 2009) has become Project Editor of 1000-Word Philosophy, "an ever-growing set of original 1000-word essays on philosophical topics."
- Andy Carson (M.A., 2012) has received coverage in The Chronicle of Higher Education for his study of job placement by doctoral programs in philosophy. He has now published a follow-up study reporting on the placement records of M.A. programs in philosophy
The 15th Annual Northern Graduate Philosophy Conference will be held October 28-29, 2022, with a keynote by Professor Sandy Goldberg (Northwestern University). Details, including submission guidelines, are available on the conference website.