Rankings, Honors and Awards
The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences is the university's largest college with 18 departments and seven centers that span the natural sciences, social sciences and humanities.
U.S. News and World Report
- Best Grad Schools: NIU’s Master of Public Administration program ranks 4th in the specialty field of City Management and Urban Policy and 15th in the specialty field of Public Finance and Budgeting and 37th in the field of Public Management.
American Chemical Society (ACS)
- Top Universities Awarding ACS-certified Bachelor’s Degrees: NIU’s Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry ranks among the top universities for the number of ACS-certified bachelor’s degrees awarded annually
Communication Institute for Online Scholarship
- Top 10 Research Department: NIU’s Department of Communication is a distinguished program in eight research categories with noted departmental strength in thirty additional research categories
National Ground Water Association
- Top Hydrogeology Programs: NIU’s geosciences program ranks in the top 100
Philosophical Gourmet Report
- Top Terminal M.A. Programs: NIU’s Philosophy program ranks in the top 5 in terms of faculty quality
- Consortium of Practicing and Applied Anthropology (COPAA): NIU’s anthropology program is one of only 27 in the country that belongs to the COPAA, whose mission is to collectively advance the education and training of students, faculty, and practitioners in applied anthropology
- Argonne National Laboratory: NIU’s graduate programs in physics, computer science and chemistry participate in fellowship opportunities at Argonne National Laboratory
Fermilab: NIU’s graduate programs in physics and computer science have a partnership with Fermilab in Batavia, Illinois, working together on experiments and research
Ten of NIU’s past 12 Lincoln Laureates have come from College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
NIU is one of only three institutions, and the only public institution in Illinois, that grants teacher licensure in all six social science areas.
NIU is one of only two state schools to license in Environmental Studies -- only five schools in Illinois have this program.
NIU’s Mock Trial Team, started in 2012, was named as one of six “Outstanding Trial Teams” and finished with the third best overall record at the 2016 American Mock Trial Association’s Opening Round Championship Series, earning them a bid to the national championship for the first time in NIU school history.
Faculty in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences are the best of the best. In the past five years, our faculty have received:
- 12 of 14 Board of Trustees Professorships
- 12 of 12 Presidential Research Professorships
- 7 of 12 Presidential Teaching Professorships
- 5 of 10 Presidential Engagement Professorships
- 12 of 15 Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Awards