- Center for the Study of Women, Gender and Sexuality
- Austin Sawicki Memorial Scholarship
Austin Sawicki Memorial Scholarship
We were saddened when our beloved graduate student and former teaching assistant, Austin Sawicki, died on May 29, 2008.
Austin had completed an M.A. in philosophy and graduate certificate in Women's Studies and was working on a second MA in Anthropology. He had many interests, including cognitive science, feminism, and linguistics. He was unfailingly generous, helpful, and good-natured. A recipient of the Mothers Memorial Scholarship, he also participated in many campus events and organized the prestigious Heidegger Circle Annual Meeting in spring 2008.
Shortly after his passing, we worked with the departments of Philosophy and Anthropology, as well as NIU Foundation to create a memorial scholarship for Austin Sawicki. Contribute to the Austin Sawicki Scholarship Fund. You may also send checks made out to the NIU Foundation, with "Austin Sawicki" in the subject line, to the Center for the Study of Women, Gender and Sexuality, Reavis 103, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL 60115.
The Austin Sawicki Memorial Scholarship Fund is established to provide scholarships to upper-division and graduate students at NIU who make major contributions to improving gender equity at NIU and to honor the memory of Austin Sawicki.
Specific criteria for this fund are:
- The recipient(s) must be a junior, senior or graduate student and have completed a minimum of one year at NIU. Recipients do not have to be Women’s and Gender Studies students.
- The recipient(s) shall have made major contributions to improving gender equity at NIU, have exceptional intellectual curiosity, and have interdisciplinary academic interests. Additionally, the recipient shall exhibit other qualities that Austin Sawicki possessed, including exuberance, enthusiasm, compassion, and a commitment to the success of others as demonstrated by her/his activities, service, coursework, and interactions with the NIU community.
- The recipient(s) must have a minimum 3.0 GPA for undergraduates and 3.5 GPA for graduate students.
For additional information contact the Center for the Study of Women, Gender and Sexuality 815-753-1038 or email@example.com.
- All scholarship(s) awarded shall be for one academic year.
- In the event a recipient withdraws from the university, the remaining funds allocated for the scholarship shall be granted to another qualified student.
Congratulations to all of our Austin Sawicki Memorial Scholarship Recipients.
Margaret Hitchcock (B.A. student in Philosophy and English)
Zachery Nielsen (M.A. in Counseling)
Jaclyn Fowler (B.A. student in Mathematics with Spanish minor)
Michael Mehlick (J.D. student in College of Law)
Rhiannon Catherwood (Ph.D. candidate in English, Women's Studies student)
Natalie Santiago-Bidne (M.A. student in English, Women's Studies Graduate Certificate student)
Cortney Barko (Ph.D. candidate in English, Women's Studies Graduate Certificate student)
|2012||Josh Adair (Ph.D. candidate in English, Women's Studies Graduate Certificate Student)|