Great news! Current students are now able to schedule an appointment for career assistance using the Navigate scheduling system. Review the instructions below to schedule your appointment.
All appointments listed must be scheduled through the Navigate scheduling system. Instructions are available in the next section below.
- Career Checkups (25 minutes)
- Designed for UNIV 101/201 students but helpful for all, especially those new to NIU. You’ll receive personalized career planning recommendations.
- Career Advising (50 minutes)
- Need an all-purpose career advising appointment? Sign up for this comprehensive session, which we’ll customize to meet your needs. Options for what we can cover include: Help you choose majors and careers, recommend career tests, explain how to acquire workplace skills, help plan your internship/job/graduate school search, and create solutions for your career concerns.
- LinkedIn Profile Review (50 minutes, available only through Microsoft Teams)
- Did you know that our staff considers a LinkedIn account even more important than a resume? Use the Career Services Blackboard Learning Lab (under "Organizations" in Blackboard) and/or attend a workshop to learn about LinkedIn. Then, create your LinkedIn profile and schedule a review with our expert staff to get feedback.
- Mock Interview (50 minutes)
- Whether you have an internship or job interview scheduled or need feedback about your interview skills, schedule a mock interview with a Career Advisor. We’ll tailor our interview questions to your specific situation. If you’d like to practice interview skills on your own but do not need feedback, use Big Interview, our free, online practice interview tool.
- Resume Reviews (20 minutes, available only through Microsoft Teams)
- A limited number of online resume review appointments are available to current students. Before scheduling a Resume Review appointment, learn about resume writing at the Career Services Blackboard Learning Lab (under "Organizations" in Blackboard), attend a resume workshop, and use our sample resumes and handouts.
- Go to NIU's Navigate system.
- Log in with your Z-ID and MyNIU password
- On the right-hand side of your Navigate page, click the Schedule an Appointment button.
- On the appointment page, start with “What type of appointment would you like to schedule?” and click Student Services NIU.
- In the Service drop down menu, select the kind of appointment (service) you would like to have.
- Under "Pick a Date," click on the date you would like for your appointment. The "New Appointment" page will appear with a list of dates and times starting with the date you select.
- Important: On the "New Appointment" page, scroll down until you see "Staff" on the left. Only select a staff member that is marked "(Your Career Advisor)." Some students may have more than one person marked "Your Career Advisor" and may choose from multiple advisors.
- After you select a staff member, select an option under “How would you like to meet?” Select either “In-person (Appointment)” or “Virtual”.
- After selecting a career advisor and an option for how you would like to meet, select an appropriate day and time for the appointment.
- On the "Review Appointment Details and Confirm” page, make sure to scroll down to the box marked “Would you like to share anything else?” Please add a comment for your career advisor to let us know the reason for your appointment. This will allow us to better prepare for your appointment.
- After you have confirmed your appointment, you will receive an appointment from Navigate for your Outlook calendar.
- If your appointment will take place in person, come to Campus Life Building Room 260 about five minutes before the start of your appointment.
- If your appointment will take place virtually, your career advisor will send you a meeting request in MS Teams prior to the scheduled time of the appointment.
- If you have difficulty with the Navigate scheduling system, please email CareerServices@niu.edu.
Have a quick question about Huskies Get Hired or an upcoming career fair? Need to know how to find information about resume writing, LinkedIn, interviewing, or other career topics? Not sure how to get started with career planning? Stop by the Career Help Desk and talk with one of our friendly Career Advisors.
The Career Help Desk is offered Mondays-Thursdays, 11 a.m.-2 p.m., when fall/spring classes are in session. Help Desk hours will be offered at Career Services (Campus Life Building 220) or another convenient campus location. Check our website or call 815-753-1642 for the latest hours and location.
Career Services welcomes the opportunity to partner with you for career-related course assignments and presentations to your class or student organization. Send your inquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org so that we may refer your request to the appropriate staff member.
Online career advising services (through Microsoft Teams) are available for three years after your graduation from NIU. Email CareerServices@niu.edu for career assistance. Include your name, year of graduation, and a brief summary of the kind of career assistance you need. All alumni have lifetime access to Huskies Get Hired and career fairs.