Environmental Studies (B.S. or B.A.)
Why Study Environmental Studies at NIU?
Our Environmental Studies B.S. and B.A. degree programs give you the skills to analyze solutions to energy demands; assess the impact of environmental, climatic and energy challenges facing society; and learn how to promote sustainability and the new policies surrounding it.
Our program offers six areas of emphasis:
- Biodiversity and Environmental Restoration*
- Energy Studies*
- Environmental Policy
- Nature and Society
- Water Sciences*
- Educator Licensure - Environmental Science*
* B.S. only
Careers with an Environmental Studies Degree
According to National Geographic Magazine, these are the 11 fastest growing careers for environmental studies professionals:
Learn more about Environmental Studies careers.
Environmental Studies Faculty
Our environmental studies degree programs are interdisciplinary and feature faculty from several different areas including:
- Biological sciences
- Engineering technology
- Geographic and atmospheric sciences
- Geology and environmental geosciences
- Mechanical engineering
- Political science
As a student, you can participate in faculty-led research projects in areas including restored habitat, comparative anatomy and water conservation. Some research opportunities include travel to Madagascar, Mexico, Southeast Asia and other sites around the globe.
Hands-on Learning Opportunities
We have several vibrant student organizations you can join that focus on environment, sustainability and energy:
- Collegiate Association of Social Entrepreneurs (CAUSE)
- Committee for the Preservation of Wildlife
- Green Paws Environmental Alliance
- Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Club