Is your computer ready? Find out if your computer is ready for online courses by taking our browser test. Make sure to turn off pop-up blockers for this site first.
The following is a list of basic computer hardware and software minimum requirements needed to successfully take courses online. Please check the syllabus of individual courses for additional computer hardware and software requirements.
- Operating System: Windows 7 or Vista
- Processor: 1.4 GHz Pentium 4 or faster (Windows 7); 2 GHz Pentium 4 or better (Windows Vista)
- RAM: 512 MB for Windows 7; 1 GB for Windows Vista
- Free Hard Disk Space: 200 MB required
- Audio: 16 bit Sound Card and USB Headphones with microphone
- Video: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or better, OR ATI Radeon 9500 or better, OR Intel 945 chipset
- Software: Internet Explorer 11.0 or better, Firefox 20 or better, Google Chrome 17 or better, Safari 5.1 or better, Windows Media Player 11 or better (free version available), Acrobat Reader, Flash Plugin (10.3 or better)
- Java (for Collaborate): Java SE 6U13 or higher, Java SE 7, Java Access Bridge 2.0.2 (Windows Vista, 7, 8) on Java website.
- Operating System: OS X version 10.4, 10.5, 10.6, 10.7.2 or better (Intel); Mac OS X 10.4 (PowerPC)
- Processor: 500 MHz PowerPC G3 or faster; 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo or faster
- RAM: 512 MB or greater
- Free Hard Disk Space: 200 MB
- Video: ATI Radeon 9200 and above, OR ATI Radeon X Series, OR NVIDIA GeForce 2, GeForce 4, OR NVIDIA GeForce 5000 Series and above
- Software: Safari 5.1 or better, Firefox 15 or better, Windows Media Player Components for QuickTime (free version available), Acrobat Reader, Flash Plugin (10.3 or better)
- Java (for Collaborate): Apple Java 1.6.0_07 (J2SE6-64 bit) Oracle Java 1.7 on Java website.
- Bandwidth: 256 Kbps (512 Kbps recommended) for participants, meeting attendees, and end users of Adobe Connect applications.
- Connection: DSL/cable (wired connection recommended) for Adobe Connect presenters, administrators, trainers, and event and meeting hosts.
- Connect: Adobe Connect users can test their computer readiness here for their Connect sessions.
- Collaborate: For Collaborate sessions you will need to install Java for every session. Complete system requirements for Collaborate can be found here. First time Collaborate users can check their system readiness on Blackboard Support website.
- Adobe Connect Meetings: Host, present, and participate in a Adobe Connect meeting on any mobile device, including iPhone, iPad, Google Android, and BlackBerry PlayBook. To download Adobe Connect Mobile App for your mobile device and list of Adobe Connect features supported by the app visit Adobe Connect website.
- Online Courses: To access an online course on iPad download Adobe Presenter Mobile app at Apple iTunes website. For the best experience in taking an online course Puffin browser is highly recommended. To download Puffin browser for your mobile device click here.
- Blackboard Collaborate: To participate in a Blackboard Collaborate session you can download the free iOS app at App Store. For your Android device the App can be downloaded at Google Play. You can also connect directly from NIU Mobile App. Blackboard Collaborate Mobile is available on Amazon Kindle Fire, Blackberry App World and Palm OS.