Excellence · Innovation · Impact
NIU College of Law has a rich history of excellence in legal education, cutting edge research, and public service. We are at the heart of a diverse and active university campus of over 20,000 in DeKalb, Illinois, on the western edge of the Chicago metropolitan area, which is home to over 10 million residents and one of the world’s largest and most diversified economies – with more than 400 major corporate headquarters, including 31 in the Fortune 500.
Northern Law is linked to the city and the region, and the largest percentage of our graduates go on to practice in Chicago and surrounding communities.
We prepare students for the practice of law in the public interest through a core curriculum that emphasizes required bar courses. For students who wish to specialize, we offer courses in areas including criminal law, constitutional law, civil rights, business and commercial law, labor and employment law, family and juvenile law, immigration and environmental law. We also offer a number of certificate programs to allow students to focus on specialized areas of the law which appeal to their particular interests.
Northern Law is a leader in experiential education. We take our courses outside the classroom – offering a range of clinics and externship placements with government agencies, civil and criminal courts, prosecutors, and other public interest employers. We also offer extensive opportunities for practical training in trial advocacy, appellate practice, alternative dispute resolution and negotiation skills.
Our faculty of distinguished legal scholars put teaching first. Small class sizes and student-faculty ratios allow students to engage faculty directly, and our alumni network of Northern Law graduates as well as NIU alums in a wide variety of fields stands ready to help network, identify employment opportunities, and become a member of the legal profession following graduation.
NIU Law News
- Professor Emerita Arriola Writes Article for Journal of Legal Education
- Student Winners Crowned in 35th Annual Lenny B. Mandell Moot Court Competition
- Professor Meredith Stange Featured in Legal Writing Institute Newsletter
- Read about our featured alumna Sheri Curran ('97)
ABA Required Disclosures
Interested in NIU Law?
College of Law Events
- NIU Law Review Symposium - Friday, March 31, 2017
- SBA Barrister's Ball - Friday, March 31, 2017
- Francis X. Riley Lecture on Professionalism - Friday, April 7, 2017
- PILS Auction - Friday, April 7, 2017
- Race NIjUdicata: NIU Law 5K Run/Walk - Saturday, April 22, 2017
- U.S. Supreme Court Swearing-In Ceremony - May 14-15, 2017
- 13th Annual NIU College of Law Golf Outing - Friday, June 9, 2017