The Illinois Department of Public Health College Immunization Code (77 Ill. Adm.Code 694) requires all domestic and international students have the following vaccines:
- Three (3) vaccines that contain tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis, one of which must be Tdap vaccine. The last dose of vaccine must be within 10 years. Vaccines must be at appropriate intervals (#1 and #2 at least 28 days apart, #3 no less than six months after #2). Tetanus toxoid (TT or tetanus) is not acceptable.
- Two (2) measles, mumps, rubella (MMR) valid vaccines after the first birthday, at least 28 days apart. If you are unable to provide proof of vaccines, serologic evidence (IGG antibody titers), a copy of lab report to prove positive immunity is acceptable.
- One (1) meningococcal conjugate vaccine after the age of 16 for newly admitted students starting spring 2017 under the age of 22. Meningitis or meningococcal vaccinations are not acceptable.
All international students must complete a Tuberculosis (TB) screening questionnaire with the Immunization Compliance and Records office by the tenth day of their first semester to determine if they are required to get a QuantiFERON Gold blood test completed.
Additional information about meningococcal disease is available from the Illinois Department of Public Health. Read about meningococcal disease on the department's website or download a brochure, Meningococcal Disease: What Parents and Students Need to Know.
You can submit verified documents from your high school, university or college, military, etc as well as your health care provider. Our NIU Immunization History form is provided here for your reference and if you choose to take it to your provider for completion.
- Fax documents to 815-753-9599 or
- Scan and email to email@example.com or
- Mail to: Northern Illinois University, Immunization Compliance and Records Office, DeKalb, IL 60115-2828 or
- Bring into Health Services Building, Immunization Compliance and Records Office on the second floor.
Your records are not complete until they have been reviewed and verified by Immunization Compliance and Records Office. All records must be in English and legible.
You will be notified via your NIU Z-ID email account and the Immunization Web Portal of your immunization status upon receipt and review. Please note that a physical examination is not required for admission.
Exemptions and Assistance
Contact the Immunization Compliance and Records Office at 815-753-9585 for exemption information, (e.g., students born before 1/1/1957), medical or religious. Note: re-entering students must contact the Immunization Compliance and Records Office to verify current immunization status.
Failure to comply with the above State of Illinois immunization requirements will result in a registration hold. Compliance with this requirement is not associated with any other immunization requirement for college or program associated with Northern Illinois University. Please contact your department for all other requirements.
All International students are required to comply with the immunization requirements listed above as well as complete a Tuberculosis (TB) screening form (PDF). If you answer yes to any of the questions on the screening form Northern Illinois University requires that you receive TB testing as soon as possible. Contact Northwestern Medicine Student Health center at 815-306-2777 to make up an appointment. Please bring the screening form with you to that appointment.