How to Apply
To apply to the Student Engagement Fund, you must complete an online application.
As an undergraduate student (or as a faculty/staff member applying on behalf of a student) you may apply to fund research, artistry, or community-based research projects.
If you are majoring in a CLAS program, you can also apply for expense support to travel to conferences and NIU faculty-led study abroad programs. Limited funding is available for non-CLAS majors for travel to conferences and competitions.
Your request must include a clearly stated goal for the project, objectives that reflect the desired experiential learning outcomes and a detailed budget report for requested funds.
Students must have a 2.75 GPA or higher in order to be eligible for the program.
Funding and Expenses
You must request a minimum of $250 and you cannot exceed $3500 per student per academic year (including both compensation and project supply funds). For these purposes, an academic year will be considered to be fall-spring-summer. All students are eligible to apply!
Project supply awards will range from $250 to $2500. Eligible expenses include (but are not limited to):
- Conference registration fees
- Travel expenses (excluding local transportation; e.g.: travel in DeKalb County)
- Materials and supplies specific to the project
- Direct project expenses (e.g. copying, mailing surveys, etc.)
Additional Award Restrictions for Students
You may receive support for more than one project, subject to the following annual funding limits:
- No more than $1200 per year in compensation.
- No more than $2500 per year in project supply funds.
- No more than $3500 per year in *total support.
Recipients are awarded funds for a specific term in the academic year.
- Apply for spring SEF 2020 funding. Applications due Oct. 15, 2019
- Apply for SEF Study Abroad 2020 funding. Applications due Dec. 8, 2019
- Student Engagement Fund (SEF)
- Undergraduate Research
Office of Student Engagement and Experiential Learning
Altgeld Hall 100
Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.