Phi Alpha Theta
The Department of History is home to the Eta Eta Eta chapter of Phi Alpha Theta, the international honor society in history. Acceptance includes a lifetime membership and a one-year subscription to The Historian.
- 12 completed hours in History
- 3.1 History GPA
- 3.0 overall GPA
- 12 completed hours towards Master's Degree in History
- GPA of better than 3.5
- Approximately 30% completed requirements for master's degree
- Fee: $60 check or money order made out to "Phi Alpha Theta." The check will be returned if standards are not met.
- Deadline: Application is due annually on March 1st.
Application and check can be turned in at the History Department office in Zulauf 715 or mailed to: Northern Illinois University, History Department, DeKalb, IL 60115.
Gold Key Awards
This award is presented only to Phi Alpha Theta undergraduate members who graduate with at least 21 hours of history and have achieved a history GPA of 3.6 or higher.
The initiation ceremony is usually held in early May with the exact date announced late in the spring semester. If you are lucky, you might get to see Prof. Atkins wear his Arkansas Razorbacks hat and lead the audience in a round of "Woo-Pig Sooey."
Department of History
Our office is open Monday through Thursday, from 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m., except for a daily lunch break from noon-1 p.m.