Transfer Student Resources

As you earn your associate's degree or work toward completion of the Illinois Articulation Initiative General Education Core Curriculum, you should try to take classes that will satisfy the requirements for your degree at NIU. For example, you must choose either a B.A. or B.S. sequence in environmental studies at NIU.

Students with interests in biodiversity and environmental restoration, energy studies, or water will need the B.S. while students in the human experience, environmental policy, and non-governmental organization can choose either the B.S. or B.A. option.

  • A B.S. at NIU requires you to take a combination of math and science courses (check to see which classes at your community college are equivalent to required courses at NIU).
  • A B.A. requires completion of the second year of a foreign language. If you choose a B.A. in environmental studies, it doesn't matter what language you take, but if you have specific interests in particular regions of the world, it makes sense to take a language appropriate to that interest (e.g., Spanish for Latin America).

What is most important is that you complete as many of your B.A. or B.S. requirements as possible at your community college (these include math, statistics, chemistry, physics, English, communications, foreign languages, and general education classes as appropriate).

Which classes are offered at my Illinois community college and will transfer to NIU for this major?

Contact Us

Institute for the Study of the Environment, Sustainability and Energy
325 Montgomery Hall
DeKalb, IL 60115
Phone: 815-753-6563
Fax: 815-753-2902
Back to top