March 1, 2024; 9-11:30 a.m.
Presented by Allison Albrecht, M.S., Director of Communications & Outreach, Village of Schaumburg and Kate Schultz, M.S., Senior Communications Specialist, City of Naperville
Location: NIU Naperville, 1120 E. Diehl Rd. Naperville, IL 60563
Description: Are you new to the world of local government communications and don’t know how to get started? Or maybe you’re a few years into your career and are tasked with projects such as how to handle social media, develop your village’s brand, or how to best manage demands from across the organization. Schaumburg’s Director of Communications & Outreach is available to share ideas that have worked in Schaumburg and offer advice on questions you may have as a local government communicator. Spend time with a seasoned communicator where topics for this session will be based on participants’ wants and needs and can include information on a variety of topics such as branding, social media, dealing with the media, communications best practices, outreach and more. Come to this class prepared with questions/topics you would like to cover that are related to communications.
- Learn about communication practices that have been successful – whether you are a one-person shop or part of a larger communications team.
- Have the opportunity to have your communications questions answered.
- View examples of communications materials that have been developed.
- Have the chance to network/connect with peers in the field who may also have great ideas you can build from.
Addresses ICMA Practice Areas
2. Community Engagement
4. Staff Effectiveness
6. Strategic Leadership
8. Policy Facilitation and Implementation
9. Community and Resident Service
10. Service Delivery
14. Communication and Information Sharing