Braven at NIU
NIU's Career Services is partnering with Braven, a non-profit organization that empowers college students with the skills, networks, experience and confidence to land a strong job or internship. Students who participate in the Braven program are outpacing their peers in attaining a strong job out of college.
Students can take UNIV 301: Braven Leadership and Career Accelerator, a three-credit elective course to help you jumpstart your career. The course is unique in that it is taught by Leadership Coaches who are currently working in a variety of industries. As mentors, they will provide you with valuable feedback and insights into how you can prepare for your future.
Current students: if interested, be sure talk to your advisor and enroll for fall 2022 via MyNIU.
New transfer students: be sure to add it to your class schedule when you attend Orientation this summer.
Other benefits of the course include:
- New partnership.
- We understand the importance of mentoring and career preparation. We are one of only six schools in the nation to offer this Braven course and mentorship opportunity.
- Small class size.
- You'll be on a team with 5-8 other Huskies from a variety of majors. This allows you to connect with and form connections outside your academic area.
- Completely online and once-a-week.
- You'll meet with your mentor and teammates once a week online.
- Course credit at no additional cost.
- You'll earn three credit hours toward graduation.
- NIU caps per-semester charges at 12 credit hours so you can take more classes each term and graduate faster. Full-time students can take UNIV 301 at no additional cost.
- Mentorship and instruction from working professionals.
- UNIV 301 is taught by professionals from top companies in Chicagoland.
- Career exploration.
- If you know what you want to do you will discover how to get there.
- If you are uncertain you will be able to explore what's possible.
- Career preparation.
- You'll develop a portfolio, resume, LinkedIn profile and interview skills.
- After course completion, you can access job boards and employment postings with Braven partners.
- Hands-on learning with leading companies.
- You'll work with teammates creating solutions for real companies and clients.
- You can tap into a network of participating companies in Chicagoland and beyond.
- Long-lasting support.
- Once you complete UNIV 301, you are paired with a mentor to support you through your academic and professional career planning.
Braven is a non-profit organization that empowers first-generation college students, students from low-income backgrounds, and students of color with the skills, networks, experience, and confidence necessary to land a strong job or internship. Watch this video to learn more.