Grammar Exemption Exam
If you're an English major or minor, you must demonstrate proficiency in the fundamentals of English grammar by successfully completing ENGL 207 or passing the Grammar Exemption Exam (GEE).
You should take the GEE no later than the end of the first semester in which you enroll for any course to be included in your major or minor. If you do not take the exam in your first semester, you're expected to take ENGL 207 in your second semester in order to enroll in other English courses.
Please note: If you are an undergraduate candidate for admission to the Secondary Licensure in English Language Arts Program, you are not eligible to take the GEE.
- The GEE is a comprehensive, multiple-choice test.
- There is a 90-minute time limit.
- You may attempt the GEE only once.
- The GEE will be taken remotely through Blackboard. You still need to register for this exam and then you will be added to the Blackboard Organization so you can test.
- Once you complete the GEE on Blackboard, you will receive your scores immediately.
Passing requirements: The passing score will be 70% or above.
Study materials: the textbook, English Grammar: A Descriptive Linguistic Approach, 3rd edition, by Gulsat Aygen, is recommended as a study guide for the GEE. A copy of this textbook is available on a two-hour reserve at Founders Memorial Library.
Areas to be covered: Basic usage conventions of formal written English and traditional grammatical terminology.
What to bring to the exam: A photo ID.
Test may be taken from 9 a.m. on August 3 through 5 p.m. on August 5, 2021. The registration deadline is July 29, 2021.
College of Business Exemption Exams
If you're entering a College of Business graduate program, you should be familiar with its Phase One and Phase Two requirements. Phase One coursework is considered prerequisite for Phase Two. You can meet Phase One requirements with satisfactory completion of the appropriate courses or by passing exemption exams. You can only take each exam one time.
There is a $15 fee to take the following exemption exams, which are administered at Testing Services during office hours. Parking is available in the visitor pay lot located on Carroll Avenue. Exam results will be mailed to you from the College of Business.
- ACCY 505, Financial Accounting Concepts (PDF)
- FINA 500, Survey of Business Economics (PDF)
- FINA 505, Fundamentals of Financial Management (PDF)
- MGMT 505, Principles of Management (PDF)
- MGMT 511, Legal Aspects of Business (PDF)
- OMIS 507, Business Information Systems (PDF)
- OMIS 524, Business Statistics (PDF)
- Credit by Exam