Care and Support
Getting Help for Yourself
The Center for Student Assistance is here to help with a variety of needs. Fostering your success as a Huskie means supporting you holistically as a person.
Even if you don’t see information pertaining to your unique circumstances, please contact us. We can point you toward additional resources at NIU and beyond.
Request Student Success Coaching
Student Success Coaching pairs you with a Peer Academic Coach, an undergraduate student just like you who will serve as your mentor to being a successful Huskie at Northern Illinois University. Your Peer Academic Coach can offer you student-to-student tips, invite you to workshops and provide support in a safe environment.
Peer Academic Coaches can provide individual coaching on:
- Study strategies, test-taking skills and good academic habits.
- Setting yourself up for success with time management skills.
- Adjusting to online courses and using remote technology.
- Avoiding procrastination and staying motivated and focused.
- Connecting with resources and faculty through self-advocacy.
- Setting goals and regularly assessing your academic progress.
- Preparing to meet with your advisor and plan your degree path.
To schedule an appointment, log on to to the system (or create an account), select Peer Academic Coach and then choose Center for Student Assistance to make an appointment with our coach.
Getting Help for Someone Else
NIU has a Student of Concern committee dedicated to helping Huskies in distress. You can fill out a form to let our team know about a student who may need assistance or support.
Learn more about: