- Interactions among social behavior, stress, and the heart.
- Association of depression and heart disease.
- Animal models of psychological disorders and stress.
Frequently Taught Classes
- PSYC 300 - Introduction to Brain and Behavior
- PSYC481/581 - Drugs and Behavior
- PSYC 670E - Studies in Experimental Psychology, Social Neuroscience
- Grippo AJ, McNeal N, Watanasriyakul WT, Cacioppo S, Scotti ML, Dagner A. Behavioral and cardiovascular consequences of disrupted oxytocin communication in cohabitating pairs of male and female prairie voles. Social Neuroscience 14: 649-662, 2019. (PMC 6669126)
- Jarcho MR, McNeal N, Colburn W, Normann MC, Watanasriyakul WT, Grippo AJ. Wheel access has opposing effects on stress physiology depending on social environment in female prairie voles. Stress 22: 265-275, 2019. (PMC 6476667)
- McNeal N, Watanasriyakul WT, Normann MC, Akinbo OI, Dagner A, Ihm E, Wardwell J, Grippo AJ. The negative effects of social bond disruption are partially ameliorated by sertraline administration in prairie voles. Autonomic Neuroscience: Basic and Clinical 219: 5-18, 2019. (PMC 6540807)
- Watanasriyakul WT, Normann MC, Akinbo OI, Colburn W, Dagner A, Grippo AJ. Protective neuroendocrine effects of environmental enrichment and voluntary exercise against social isolation: evidence for mediation by limbic structures. Stress 22: 603-618, 2019. (PMC 6690777)
- Normann MC, McNeal N, Dagner A, Ihm E, Woodbury M, Grippo AJ. The influence of environmental enrichment on cardiovascular and behavioral responses to social stress. Psychosomatic Medicine 80: 271-277, 2018. (PMC in progress)
- Watanasriyakul WT, Wardwell J, McNeal N, Schultz R, Woodbury M, Dagner A, Cox M, Grippo AJ. Voluntary physical exercise protects against behavioral and endocrine reactivity to social and environmental stressors in the prairie vole. Social Neuroscience 13: 602-615, 2018. (PMC 6082717)
- McNeal N, Appleton KM, Johnson AK, Scotti ML, Wardwell J, Murphy R, Bishop C, Knecht A, Grippo AJ. The protective effects of social bonding on behavioral and pituitary-adrenal axis reactivity to chronic mild stress in prairie voles. Stress 20: 175-182, 2017. (PMC 5612411)
- Scotti ML, Carlton ED, Demas GE, Grippo AJ. Social isolation disrupts innate immune responses in both male and female prairie voles and enhances agonistic behavior in female prairie voles. Hormones and Behavior 70: 7-13, 2015. (PMC 4409529)
- Grippo AJ, Ihm E, Wardwell J, McNeal N, Scotti ML, Moenk DA, Chandler DL, LaRocca MA*, Preihs K. The effects of environmental enrichment on depressive- and anxiety-relevant behaviors in socially isolated prairie voles. Psychosomatic Medicine 76: 277-284, 2014. (PMC 4020982)
- McNeal N, Scotti ML, Wardwell J, Chandler DL, Bates SL, LaRocca M, Trahanas DM, Grippo AJ. Disruption of social bonds induces behavioral and physiological dysregulation in male and female prairie voles. Autonomic Neuroscience: Basic and Clinical 180: 9-16, 2014. (PMC 3947225)
- Grippo AJ, Moffitt JA, Sgoifo A, Jepson AJ, Bates SL, Chandler DL, McNeal N, Preihs K. The integration of depressive behaviors and cardiac dysfunction during an operational measure of depression: investigating the role of negative social experiences using an animal model. Psychosomatic Medicine 74: 612-619, 2012. (PMC3392416)
- Peuler JD, Scotti ML, Phelps LE, McNeal N, Grippo AJ. Chronic social isolation in the prairie vole induces endothelial dysfunction: implications for depression and cardiovascular disease. Physiology and Behavior 106: 476-484, 2012. (PMC3355378)
- Carnevali L, Mastorci F, Graiani G, Razzoli M, Trombini M, Pico-Alfonso MA, Arban R, Grippo AJ, Quaini F, Sgoifo A. Social defeat and isolation induce clear signs of a depression-like state, but modest cardiac alterations in wild-type rats. Physiology and Behavior 106: 143-150, 2012.
- Grippo AJ, Pournajafi-Nazarloo H, Sanzenbacher L, Trahanas DM, McNeal N, Clarke DA, Porges SW, Carter CS. Peripheral oxytocin administration buffers autonomic but not behavioral responses to environmental stressors in isolated prairie voles. Stress 15: 149-161, 2012. (PMC3397123)
- Grippo AJ. The utility of animal models in understanding links between psychosocial processes and cardiovascular health. Social and Personality Psychology Compass 5/4: 164-179, 2011.
- Grippo AJ, Carter CS, McNeal N, Chandler DL, LaRocca MA, Bates SL, Porges SW. 24-Hour autonomic dysfunction and depressive behaviors in an animal model of social isolation: implications for the study of depression and cardiovascular disease. Psychosomatic Medicine 73: 59-66, 2011.
- Grippo AJ, Sgoifo A, Mastorci F, McNeal N, Trahanas DM. Cardiac dysfunction and hypothalamic activation during asocial crowding stressor in prairie voles. Autonomic Neuroscience: Basic and Clinical 156: 44-50, 2010 (PMC2914185).
- Williamson JB, Lewis G, Grippo AJ, Lamb D, Harden E, Handelman M, Lebow J, Carter CS, Porges SW. Autonomic predictors of recovery following surgery: a comparative study. Autonomic Neuroscience: Basic and Clinical 156: 60-66, 2010.
- Grippo AJ, Trahanas DM, Zimmerman RR, Porges SW, Carter CS. Oxytocin protects against negative behavioral and autonomic consequences of long-term social isolation. Psychoneuroendocrinology 34: 1542-1553, 2009. (PMC19553027)
- Grippo AJ. Mechanisms underlying altered mood and cardiovascular dysfunction: the value of neurobiological and behavioral research with animal models. Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews 33: 171-180, 2009. (PMC18703084)
- Grippo AJ, Johnson AK. Stress, depression and cardiovascular dysregulation: a review of neurobiological mechanisms and the integration of research from preclinical disease models. Stress 12: 1-21, 2009. (PMC19116888)
- Grippo AJ, Moffitt JA, Johnson AK. Evaluation of baroreceptor reflex function in the chronic mild stress rodent model of depression. Psychosomatic Medicine 70: 435-443, 2008. (PMC18480191)
- Grippo AJ, Wu KD, Hassan I, Carter CS. Social isolation in prairie voles induces behaviors relevant to negative affect: toward the development of a rodent model focused on co-occurring depression and anxiety. Depression and Anxiety 25: E17-E26, 2008. (PMC17935206)
- Principal Investigator, Research and Artistry Award; Northern Illinois University Division of Research and Innovative Partnerships; The protective effects of exercise against social isolation; $14,000 (total costs); 1 year; 05/15/19 – 06/30/20
- Principal Investigator, Great Journeys Assistantship Award; Northern Illinois University Research and Graduate Studies Council; Contagious stress: consequences of observing another individual experience stress; $16,314 (graduate student stipend); 1 year, 08/16/19 – 05/15/20
- Principal Investigator, NIH Academic Research Enhancement Grant (R15); NHLBI; Mechanisms of social isolation and environmental enrichment in an animal model; $354,358 (total costs); 3 years, 08/05/12 – 08/04/15
- Principal Investigator, Undergraduate Research Assistantship Award; Northern Illinois University Office of Student Engagement and Experiential Learning; Social stress, depression, and cardiovascular function; $1500 (undergraduate student salary); 1 semester; 01/01/13 – 05/15/13
- Principal Investigator, Great Journeys Assistantship Award; Northern Illinois University Research and Graduate Studies Development Council; Negative health consequences of social isolation; $14,295 (graduate student stipend); 1 year, 08/16/12 – 05/15/13
- Principal Investigator, NIH Exploratory Research Grant (R21); NIMH; Behavioral, autonomic, and endocrine regulation in depression and heart disease; $388,575 (total costs); 4 years, 02/01/08 – 01/31/12