|Original Policy Source||APPM Section III Item 6|
|Effective Adoption Date||04-30-1992|
- Student internships will normally meet the following standards.
- Not more than 15 semester hours of credit should count toward the 120 credit hours required for graduation except where accrediting standards (organizations/agencies) or professional practice require a greater number of hours.
- S/U grading should be used for internships except where there is close faculty supervision of students or where professional practice indicates preference for letter grades.
- The ratio of actual clock hours in the internship to credit hours earned should not exceed 30:1, excluding travel and preparation time.
- Department curriculum committees should be responsible for providing the college curriculum committee with the following information when proposing new internship courses:
- Relationship of the internship to the total program.
- Requirements or recommendations of accrediting agencies, organizations, or professional standards when applicable.
- Objectives of the internship and procedure for evaluating student accomplishments.
- Type and amount of supervision of student interns.
- Role and/or responsibility of the participating internship agency.
- Evidence that quality control of the internship rests with the college/department.
- Qualifications of personnel supervising student interns.
- Faculty-student ratio.
- Whether internship is for majors only or also for non-majors (with rationale given for non-majors).
- Student prerequisites for the internship should be spelled out, e.g., GPA, hours earned, etc.
Approved by Undergraduate Coordinating Council, April 30, 1992
- Policy Categories
- Board of Trustees
- Campus Safety / Security
- Ethics & Conduct
- Facilities / Real Estate
- Faculty & Academics
- Finance / Risk Management
- Governance / Administration
- Human Resources / Employment
- Information Technology
- Marketing & Communication
- Research Ethics / Intellectual Property
- Student Affairs
- Sponsored Funding/Grants and Contracts