Payroll and Compensation

Policy Approval Authority President
Responsible University Office Human Resource Services
Responsible Officer(s) Senior Associate Vice President
Contact Person William Hodson
Primary Audience Faculty
Status Active
Effective Adoption Date 04-01-2017
Last Review Date 04-01-2017
Policy Category/Categories Human Resources / Employment

I. Pay Period -- Payday

All employees are paid on a semi-monthly basis with pay periods from the 1st to the 15th and the 16th to the last day of the month. Paydays are the 15th and last day of each month except when those days fall on either a Saturday, Sunday, or Banking Holiday. In that event payday will be on the last university business day preceding the normal payday.

Payroll checks and direct deposits of pay will not be released until the scheduled payday for each pay period.

All timsheets not properly completed may not be processed until the next payroll.

II. Timesheets -- Timesheet reporting (Hourly Employee)

  1. Overtime to be paid must be shown on the timesheet on the appropriate line.   Employees are not eligible for overtime until they have worked over 7.5 hours or 8 hour in the day (depending on their scheduled standard hours) or 37.5 or 40 hours in the workweek.  The workweek is defined as Monday through Sunday.
  2. Holidays, funeral leave; military leave, jury duty, and any other authorized leave will be paid on the basis of the employee’s normal workday.
  3. Time must be reported to the nearest one-tenth (.1) of an hour. Do not use fractions, i.e., ½, ¼, etc.
  4. If a night shift is to be paid, those hours should be listed in the applicable differential row of the timesheet and the reason for the differential noted in the comments section of the timesheet.  . The supervisor’s signature is required to approve the payment of  all hours worked and benefit usage. The rates used must be those authorized by the Human Resource Services Office.
  5. Timesheets must be completed daily, totaled, signed by the employee and supervisor in ink, and returned to Payroll no later than 4:30 p.m. on the first work day following the completion of a pay period.
  6. The timesheets to be used is available on the Human Resource Services website and both the employee and supervisor are required to sign them prior to submission to payroll.  Those not signed by both individuals will not be processed.  The only exception is for those employees on a continuous paid leave with documentation on file in Human Resource Services.
  7. No employee is expected to sign a blank timecard and all changes to timecard hours should be initiated by the employee and supervisor.
  8. The timesheet should reflect all hours worked each day.  Employees should not be asked to move hours worked from one day to another to avoid overtime or use of benefits.  Requests such as these are a violation of the University Ethics Policy and should be reported to the University Ethics Officer.  

III. Holidays

An employee may receive payment of sick leave for a time prior to or immediately following an approved vacation or holiday period if the supervisor specifically approves the sick leave hours on the employee’s timesheet. To be eligible for holiday pay, an employee must have worked or been on pay status the last scheduled work day prior to and following a holiday. Scheduled workdays are determined by the supervisor. Supervisors may withhold holiday pay from an employee who is absent immediately before or after a holiday (or holidays) when the absence is not excused by making a notation "unauthorized absence" on the employee’s timesheet.

IV. Payroll Unemployment Compensation Procedures

Any unemployment correspondence received by any university department should be forwarded as soon as possible to Payroll. The university has ten working days to reply to the Unemployment Compensation office. It is university policy to challenge all unwarranted benefit claims.

Upon receipt of a claims application form, Payroll will complete the information requested from HRS computer files and consult the employee’s file folder if they are not a student employee. Consultation with the Employment Services area may be required.

V. Overtime

Eligible non-exempt Civil Service, Supportive Professional Staff (SPS), and Graduate Assistants and student workers are paid overtime at the rate of time and one-half whenever they work in excess of 7.5 hours in a day or 37.5 hours in a week.  The supervisor should approve any overtime prior to it being worked by the employee. 

NOTE: Students are prohibited from working overtime.  Non-exempt Civil Service employees may receive time and one-half or double time depending on contract coverage.  Student employment will require documentation on any student being paid overtime, indicating the emergency reason that necessitated the overtime.  

NOTE: Some Civil Service personnel under negotiated contracts must work in excess of 8 hours per day in order to be eligible for overtime pay.

VI. Compensating Time Off

An hourly paid employee in a status position (Supportive Professional Staff or Civil Service) is eligible for compensating time off in lieu of overtime payment at the rate of time and one-half for all time in excess of 7.5 hours per day or in excess of 8.0 hours in a day for those who work the 8 hour days, with mutual agreement of supervisor. The maximum amount of compensating time accrued may not exceed the equivalent of 120 hours (16 workdays) for those on a 37.5-hour work week or 120 hours (16 workdays) for those on a 40-hour work week.  The employee will then note the use of compensatory time on the timesheet when applicable.

Employees who leave the university with accrued compensatory time will be paid in their last paycheck as is done with vacation pay. Such payments will be based on the employee’s earning rate as of the time of separation, or the average of the last three years, whichever is greater.

VII. Monthly Benefit Usage Report

Salaried Employee Benefit Usage Reports  are to be completed and returned to the supervisor at the completion of the pay period.   The department time keeper will then report the usage via the payroll summary to payroll by the applicable payroll deadline. 

Non-worked time other than vacation and sick leave is reported as follows:

  1. Absent Without Pay: The supervisor of employees who are absent from their job duties without leave to cover the time lost must contact Employment Services. Employment Services will then process leave without pay transaction l for proper wage deductions. These will typically be processed as a Personal Leave, which may impact the employees’ health insurance coverage. 
  2. Funeral Leave: When it is necessary to use "Funeral Leave," make a notation in the comments of the timesheet showing dates you were absent and relationship of deceased family member. See the Leave of Absence policy for the number of days provided without use of other benefits.
  3. Jury Duty: When serving on a jury, please note the dates you served in the comments section of the timesheet or benefit usage form.
  4. Military Leave: Should you require to perform "Military Training," a copy of your "orders" from the appropriate military unit must be filed with Employment Servicesbefore the leave begins.

VIII. Authorization

No person’s names may be placed on a payroll without proper authorization on file with Human Resource Services.   This includes faculty, supportive professional staff, civil service employees, extra help, student employees, and graduate assistantships. 

NOTE: Employees should not begin working until authorization has been received from Human Resource Services.

IX. Additional Compensation

Authorization for additional pay must be secured before payment can be made, regardless of the source of funds. Authorization is required for any individual who has been on a university payroll within the calendar year. It should be noted the honorariums are applicable only to persons not connected with the university and are paid through the Accounting Office.

X. Other Compensation

Other compensation (such as reimbursement for moving expenses) paid through the Accounting Office will be reported to Payroll and included on the employee’s W-2 statement. The personal use of assigned university vehicles is taxable and will also be included on the employee’s W-2 statement. Employee tuition waivers, if pay taxable, will be included on the W-2 statement.

XI. Electronic Direct Deposit of Pay

Electronic direct deposit is policy for all employees. Earnings statements will be sent to the employee’s department before payday when the direct deposit is imminent. An authorization form with a void check or void savings deposit form, if pay is to be deposited in a savings account, must be filed with Human Resource Services in order to begin the process. A Direct Deposit Form (Authorization agreement for automatic payment) may be found at on the Human Resource Services website.

XII. Authorization Deductions

An employee may authorize the withholding of a portion of their salary for the purpose specified in the State Salary and Annuity Withholding Act, (III. Rev. Stat. Ch. 127, secs. 351-60). In accordance with the provisions of said Act, no portion of an employee’s salary may be withheld to pay premiums on life or accident and health insurance policies issued by one insurance company unless a minimum of 100 university employees insured by such company have authorized such withholding. Withholding from salaries for other purposes authorized by the Act shall be governed by the regulations of the Board of Trustees. All withholding authorizations must be on forms prescribed by the university and must conform to all of the requirements of the State Salary and Annuity Withholding Act.

The following rules would apply:

    1. All deductions must be deducted on the pay period basis adopted by the university.
    2. An authorization for a payroll deduction will be effected no later than the pay period following the current pay period after receipt in Payroll. The authorization form must be prescribed form(s) of the university and must be completed and signed by the employee.
      1. Revocation of payroll deduction requires the employee to complete and sign the prescribed authorization card available at Payroll. Revocation will become effective no later than the pay period following the current pay period after in Payroll.
      2. Payroll deduction adjustments require the submission of a new payroll deduction authorization, (if the deduction amount is changed for all employees, the new authorization may be waived.)
    3. Solicitations by insurance companies, union organizations, associations, etc. will not be conducted on university premises without prior administrative approval of the Vice President for General Administration.
    4. An insurance company offering life or accident and health insurance policies that has permission to solicit business on university premises must secure at least 100 university employee withholding authorizations to be accepted by Payroll.
    5. Companies or organizations conducting solicitations, unless approved by the Board of Trustees and/or university administration, will not state nor imply directly or through advertising and solicitation materials that the university sponsors or approves of the plan.
    6. The university may discontinue withholding from salaries to pay to one insurance company premiums on life or accident and health insurance policies at any time that university employee withholding authorization for that company shall number less than 100. The university will notify the company that the participation is less than 100. The insurance company will have six months after notification to bring the enrollment up to the minimum number.

Currently, deductions are authorized for group insurance, group medical, term life, dental insurance, savings bonds, union dues, credit union, charity, dependent care, medical care, NIU Foundation, and NIU Athletic Association.

Medical and Dental Insurance

This coverage has a fixed premium to be deducted each pay period. The State of Illinois pays a portion of this premium. The premium varies according to the marital status, number, and ages of the participants. Additional information and the necessary forms are available in the Insurance and Employee Benefits Office.

Union Dues

Any information concerning union dues, deductions, policies, or procedures should be addressed to the local chapter president or union steward.


Various charity deductions are available.  Employees interested in payroll deduction can utilize the Start - Stop Payroll Deduction Authorization Form available from the Human Resource Services website.

Credit Union

Arrangements for credit union deductions should be made at the Credit Union Office.

Campus Recreation

Employees may pay membership fees to campus exercise programs via payroll deduction. Contact the Office of Campus Recreation.

Tax Free Parking

Campus parking permit fees paid via payroll deduction are pre-tax and not included in taxable gross on the W-2 statement. Contact the Campus Parking Office for details.


Employees may receive a discount for membership and have the fee paid via payroll deduction. Contact the Kishwaukee Family YMCA for information 815-756-9577.

XIII. Tax Deferred Annuities

The State of Illinois and the Board of Trustees authorize several different investment companies for payroll salary reduction. By having salary reduction, an individual’s taxes are calculated on the gross dollars less the annuity amount. Also, the gross dollars earned on the employee’s W-2 form are the gross dollars earned less the annuity amount, or the taxable gross.

XIV. State Universities Retirement System

Employees eligible and participating in the State Universities Retirement System are required to contribute a percentage of their gross pay. Payroll makes this employee contribution automatically. The retirement contribution is considered to be "picked-up" by the employer and is not taxable income for the purpose of calculating withholding taxes or W-2 wages.

XV. Social Security (Medicare)

Except for registered students, all employees who begin employment after March 31, 1986 are subject to a deduction for the Medicare portion of social security (FICA) taxes, and effective July 1, 1991 some employees not eligible for SURS may be subject to full social security taxes.  Students working during the summer but not taking classes will be subject to full social security taxes.

XVI. Federal Withholding Taxes

Federal income tax will be withheld on a graduated basis to a greater or lesser degree dependent on the marital status and number of exemptions claimed by the individual on the W-4 form filed in Payroll. An NIU W-4 form is available from payroll or may be downloaded from the HRS website.

XVII. Employees from Foreign Countries

Based on a substantial presence test, employees from other countries are determined to be either in a resident or non-resident alien tax status. Appropriate withholding of taxes is then applied based on the relevant tax status.

XVIII. Deceased Employee Benefits

Any earnings due an employee at the time of death will be paid to the employee’s estate. Certified death certificate and small estate affidavit (where no estate is opened) or letter of administration or testamentary (where payee decedent's personal representatives) must be presented at Payroll to secure this payment. Benefits due from the retirement system (if the employee was an eligible participant) will be paid upon presenting the same proof documents to the State Universities Retirement System.

XIX. Earnings Record (Payroll Advice)

Employees can access each payroll advice in the MyNIU PeopleSoft system since July 2001 or their first pay period.

XX. Lost, Stolen or Destroyed Checks

If a paycheck has been lost, stolen, or destroyed, this fact should be reported to Payroll immediately. Payroll will arrange for a stop payment on the original check. A duplicate check will be written as soon as verification has been received from the bank that the original check has not been cashed and an affidavit has been signed by the employee stating that if the original check is found it will be returned to Payroll.

XXI. Advances

There are no payroll advances for persons currently on a payroll. State law prohibits payments being made before the completion of a pay period.

XXII. Payroll Changes

Changes of rate, classification, source of pay and working location must be processed through Employment Services. Changes of name and address are processed through Employment Services. Social security number, marital status, number of exemptions, withholding tax, deductions, and check distribution are processed through Payroll.

XXIII. Payroll Deadlines

Deadlines for changes and placing new employees on a payroll is published on the Human Resources Services payroll calendar. 


There are no comments to show.

Back to top of page