International Transfer to NIU

To transfer into NIU from another school, once you have been admitted, you will need to speak to the international student advisor at your current school, as they will need documents to start the process of transfer.

NIU Admissions office will ask that you fill out an NIU Transfer Form as well as provide proof of funding. You will need to contact Admissions for the form. Once the form and proof of funding is in the hands of Admissions and your Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) record has been released, your new I-20 will be produced.

If You Are Outside the U.S. and Are Entering the U.S. for the First Time

You have two options:
  • You can apply for a new visa interview to receive the proper visa to enter the US
  • You will have to enter as if you are going to the current school named on your visa and then follow the instructions to transfer your SEVIS record to NIU.

If You Are Already in the U.S.

You do not need to travel as long as your program at NIU starts within 5 months of the date of SEVIS transfer. If you do travel outside the US, you will not be able to re-enter until you are within thirty days of the new program start date on your I-20. If your visa has expired, you will need to apply for a new visa to re-enter as well.