Where to Find Advice
A great deal of information is to be found in the Undergraduate Catalog. Always refer to it first on matters of departmental, college, or university requirements.
Course Schedules are listed on MyNIU.
Environmental Studies majors and minors should call 815-753-6563 to schedule times for an appointment.
When should you meet with your major advisor:
Meet with your advisor immediately after you decide on your major field of study. Your advisor will help you plan the sequences of classes that will be required to complete your degree within an 8 semester time frame. Subsequently, you should plan to meet with your advisor at least once a semester.
Treat your advising appointment like an interview. Come prepared with knowledge about the classes offered for the upcoming semester, general information about the major, and questions for the advisor.
- Student Career Success through Engaged Learning (online booklet)
- Gain research experience in a professor’s lab (ENVS 490)
- Develop appropriate oral and written communication skills (The Writing Center)
- Get an internship (ENVS 492)
- Become involved in student organizations
- Immerse yourself in your chosen field (Career Services)
- Read constantly in a variety of subjects (academic, nonfiction, novels, etc)
- Consider spending a semester to study abroad
Institute for the Study of the Environment, Sustainability, and Energy/ENVS
325 Montgomery Hall
Northern Illinois University
DeKalb, IL 60115