Minors in English
Our department supports several minors:
- The literature minor may focus on a particular topic, historical period or genres such as the novel, short story, play, poetry or nonfiction.
- The linguistics minor may include a range of topics offered in the department, or it may focus on the interdisciplinary minor in Cognitive Studies (see Catalog index).
- The professional communication minor in participation with the Department of Communication.
- The comparative literature minor in participation with the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures.
We also participate in offering interdisciplinary minors with:
A concentration in Medieval Studies exploring the literary roots and early languages of present-day Britain and Europe is also available.
View English program minor requirements in the Undergraduate Catalog.
- NIU Admissions
- Undergraduate Catalog: English Major
- Undergraduate Catalog: English Minor
- Undergraduate Catalog: Creative Writing
- Undergraduate Catalog: English Honors
- Undergraduate Course Descriptions
- How to complete the major in eight semesters
- Learning Outcomes