Students who major or minor in English receive training in skillsets that are essential in our modern workplace, including
- Critical thinking
- Detailed analysis of written texts and other media
- Ability to communicate effectively in a variety of written media
English majors can select one of three tracks:
- Studies in Literature
- Studies leading to Secondary Licensure in English Language Arts (for entrance requirements, see educator licensure)
- Studies in Writing
We also offer an 18-hour minor in English mostly selected by each student: some English minors focus on a single literary genre or period, while others focus on writing or linguistics.
We work to enhance students' academic and professional careers in other ways, too.
Majors and minors can take advantage of for-credit internship opportunities in writing and editing.
- Many English majors and minors participate in study abroad programs in Oxford and Dublin.
- The department offers an honors program for its majors and regularly offers courses for the University Honors Program.
For more information contact the program office support specialist, Jodi Long, at 815-753-1606 or email@example.com.
- NIU Admissions
- Undergraduate Catalog: English Major
- Undergraduate Catalog: English Minor
- Undergraduate Catalog: Creative Writing
- Undergraduate Catalog: English Honors
- Undergraduate Course Descriptions
- How to complete the major in eight semesters
- Learning Outcomes
Email us your questions!
Northern Illinois University
Department of English
Reavis Hall, Room 215
DeKalb, IL 60115