Skip navigation



Bed Lofting

Looking Up Your Roommate(s)

Move In Times and Arriving Early

Room Number Lookup

How do I choose a room?

First, research the different hall options available at NIU and decide which one is best for you. After you've made a decision, you can begin the housing sign up process.

Do I have to live in the residence halls?

On-campus living provides unique opportunities for student academic and social involvement. All single, new freshman students who will not have reached their 21st birthday by September 1, and who are not residing with their parents or legal guardians, or are not the custodial parent of a dependent child, must live in University residence halls as long as space is available.  If students required to live on campus do not sign up for housing, they will be automatically charged for a double room.

Learn more about the university residency requirement.

Am I required to have a meal plan?

All residence hall students are required to have a meal plan as part of residence hall living. Students that live off-campus or commute may also sign up for a meal plan.

For more information, see Meal Plans.

Can I change which room I signed up for?

If you wish to change your room selection, log onto Campus Housing Sign Up and go to Rooms and Meal Plans > Change a Room.

Can I choose my roommate even though I've already signed up for a room?

If you have already signed up for a room, you can no longer pull in a roommate to live in your room. However, if the person you want to be roommates with has not signed up for housing yet, they are eligible to live in your room, and there is a bed available in your room, they may sign up to live with you. If both of you have already signed up for separate rooms, you can both make a room change at a special time during room sign up. See the room sign up schedule.

Are there tours?

You are invited to tour NIU's Residence Halls Monday through Thursday from 2:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. Please call the Housing & Residential Services Marketing Office at (815) 753-9696 to schedule a tour.

What do I bring when I move in?

We provide as many comforts as possible so you can make your room your home. Here's a list of items you'll want to bring when you move in.

Can I have a single room?

A limited number of single rooms are available in Stevenson, Grant and Gilbert. New Hall has suite-style living were each student has a private bedroom (like single room), and in addition to a usual single New Hall residents enjoy a vanity area and a bathroom only shared with one other person.

How do I sign up with my roommate?

During room sign up, one person (the "designee") will select a room for all roommates. This person must have your Z-ID and your roommate PIN. You can find your roommate PIN by going to MyNIU > Campus Housing Sign Up > Roommates. The designee will select a room and meal plans for all other roommates.

How do I find out who my roommate is?

You can look up your roommates at any time by logging on to Campus Housing Sign Up.

Where do residents eat?

Residence hall students use their NIU OneCard to enter the dining areas and may eat in any of the residential dining locations on campus. Meals are served cafeteria style on an All You Care To Eat basis in New Hall, Neptune Hall, Gilbert Hall and Stevenson Hall. In Gilbert's East Side Café, Neptune's Trident, and Stevenson's Dog Pound Deli, food items are served on an à la carte basis and are purchased with Dining Dollars, Flex Dollars, Huskie Bucks, and most major credit or debit cards.

For more information, see Menus and Venues and Meal Plans.

What's the difference between Flex Dollars and Huskie Bucks?

Flex Dollars can be used at any residential All You Care To Eat locations, residential Residential À la Carte Locations, and non-residential Residential À la Carte locations. The funds are allocated once per semester and rollover from week to week. Dollars not used by the end of the semester will be forfeited.

Huskie Bucks are separate from your dining meal plan. Your Huskie Bucks account is a pre-paid debit account that can be used anywhere on campus to purchase meals as well as various services like laundry and copying/printing. Huskie Bucks can also be used at many local restaurants.

For more information, see Meal Plans and Huskie Bucks.

I have a special diet. Where can I eat?

We offer a variety of menu items to accommodate most special diet needs. If you have dietary restrictions or food allergies and would like some help navigating dining locations, please contact the nutrition and allergy support staff of Campus Dining Services located in Neptune Central 225, (815)-753-9556 or by email. Our staff will be glad to meet with you to discuss your dietary needs and provide guidance. If you require a special diet you should contact Health Services for help in securing accommodations.

How do I change my meal plan?

You may change your meal plan at no cost. Meal plan changes may also be made the first week after you change halls. You can change your residential meal plan online.

How do I get help if I'm having trouble with the Internet or NIU Wireless?

For help connecting to the Internet in the residence halls, visit the ResTech Helpdesk in Stevenson C110, or contact them at 815-753-6267 or You can also call the DoIT Service Desk at 815-753-8100 or visit the Technology Support Desk in Founders Memorial Library.

Will ResTech work on my personal computer or other device?

Yes, ResTech will help you connect your personal device to the NIU network and will also troubleshoot problems with the operating system, but they will not fix hardware issues. The DoIT Technology Support Desk in Founders Memorial Library can help resolve both software and hardware issues with your personal device.

Are there computer labs in the residence halls?

Yes! Computer labs with Anywhere Printing are available in Stevenson, Grant, Neptune, and Northern View Community.

Ask us a question if you haven't found your answer yet. We're here to help you!