4.6.4 Committee for the Improvement of the Undergraduate Academic Experience
(A) Faculty Representation
1. One faculty representative shall be appointed by the curriculum committee of each undergraduate degree-granting colleges except the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
2. Three faculty members shall be appointed by the curriculum committee of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences to represent the areas of the humanities, the social sciences, and the natural sciences.
3. One faculty representative shall be appointed by the faculty of the University Libraries.
(B) Student Representation
1. Seven students shall be selected so that there are two undergraduate student members from within the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and one undergraduate student member from each of the remaining undergraduate degree-granting colleges.
2. A representative of the Student Government Association, appointed by the president of the Student Government Association, shall serve as an ex officio, nonvoting member of the committee.
3. If the above selection procedures do not produce a minority student or a non-traditional student, the president of the Student Government Association shall appoint such a student as a voting member.
(C) Alumni Representation A representative from the NIU Alumni Association, appointed by that association, shall be an ex officio, nonvoting member.
(D) Administration Representation The following shall be ex officio, nonvoting members of the committee:
1. Vice provost responsible for undergraduate education or designee;
2. Director of one of the special academic units focusing on minority student concerns; (The executive vice president and provost shall annually, by September, designate the director who is to serve on the committee during the academic year.)
3. Associate vice president for student affairs or designee;
4. A representative from Housing and Dining appointed by the executive eirector;
5. Director of University Honors.
(E) Chair. The chair shall be elected by the voting members of the Committee for the Improvement of the Undergraduate Academic Experience.
(A) To monitor and evaluate the campus environment from the perspective of its compatibility with, and support for, the learning process and the development of an appreciation for learning, and to recommend to the Baccalaureate Council policies and programs to strengthen that environment.
(B) To act as an advisory board for the First- and Second-Year Experiences.
(C) To establish policies and procedures and select the recipients for the annual awards recognizing innovative teaching practices and outstanding undergraduate educators at NIU.
(D) To monitor and evaluate undergraduate mentoring programs as well as initiatives involving NIU alumni and students and recommend appropriate changes as necessary.
(E) To report its activities and recommendations related to purpose and duties to the Baccalaureate Council.
4.6. Standing Committees of the Baccalaureate Council
188.8.131.52 Faculty members appointed to a standing committee by a college curriculum committee shall serve a three-year, renewable term beginning in the fall semester. Terms of college appointees shall be staggered.
184.108.40.206 Student members on the committees shall serve one-year, renewable terms beginning in the fall semester.
|+^Vice Provost responsible for undergraduate education or designee||Renique Kersh (designee)||Renique Kersh (designee)|
|Business||Elisa Fredericks||Elisa Frederidcks||Elisa Fredericks|
|Education||Daryl Dugas||*Daryl Dugas||Daryl Dugas|
|Engineering||Venumadhav Korampally||Venumadhav Korampally||Venumadhav Korampally|
|Health & Human Sciences||Sheila Barrett||Jennifer Gray||Jennifer Gray||Jennifer Gray|
|Liberal Arts & Sciences - Humanities||Trude Jacobsen||Trude Jacobsen|
|Liberal Arts & Sciences - Social Sciences||TBD for Wiemer||Katja Wiemer||Katja Wiemer||Katja Wiemer|
|Liberal Arts & Sciences - Natural Sciences||Vacant||Lee Sunderlin||Lee Sunderlin|
|Visual & Performing Arts||Fall-Cindy Hellyer-Heinz
|Sinclair Bell for Hellyer-Heinz|
|University Libraries||Sarah Holmes||Wendell Johnson||Wendell Johnson||Wendell Johnson|
|Students (7)||Brittany Secor - HHS
Angela Lobdell - COE - Fall 2019
Evadne Bowlin - COE - Spr 2020
Andrea Swofford - VPA
Isabelle Lamarre - LAS
Brooke Lavite - LAS
Jason Rivera - BUS - Fall
|+ Student Government Association representative||Amari White||Jacob Sommer|
|Minority or non-traditional student per 220.127.116.11(B)3|
|+ Alumni Association representative||Jeanne Baxter||Thomas Libert|
|+ Director of a special academic unit per 18.104.22.168(D)2||Michelle Bringas||Michaela Holtz|
|+ VP for Student Affairs or designee||Fall-Kelly Olson (designee)
Spring-Andrew Digate (designee)
|+ Housing and Dining representative||Zac Birch||Danielle Young|
|+^ Director of University Honors||Andrea Radasanu||Andrea Radasanu|
^ ex officio
Faculty Advisory Council to the IBHE