NIU Vision, Mission and Values Statements
On March 7, 2019, the NIU Board of Trustees approved the revised vision, mission and values statements proposed by the Mission Review and Revision Committee.
Vision, Mission and Core Values
Northern Illinois University's vision is to be an engine for innovation to advance social mobility; promote personal, professional and intellectual growth; and transform the world through research, artistry, teaching and outreach.
The mission of Northern Illinois University is to empower students through educational excellence and experiential learning as we pursue knowledge, share our research and artistry, and engage communities for the benefit of the region, state, nation and world.
In pursuing our vision and fulfilling our mission, we value and practice:
- Curiosity and creativity.
- We provide our students active learning experiences.
- We champion innovation.
- We commit our resources to supporting students, faculty and staff in their research, artistry and professional development.
- Equity and inclusion.
- We seek and are strengthened by the diverse perspectives and experiences of our university community members.
- We use an inclusive decision-making process.
- We appreciate and respect every member of our community.
- Ethics and integrity.
- We prepare our students to become global leaders who work to build a better society.
- We model ethical behavior in and out of the classroom.
- We are transparent and accountable to our stakeholders.
- Service and stewardship.
- We serve society and confront local, national and global challenges through collaborations that improve our learning, teaching and research.
- We make accessible the knowledge and resources we create.
- We promote our students' success through advising and mentoring.