- Gender and Sexuality Resource Center Home
- Request A Program
- The Cultural Sisterhood Summit affirms, connects and empowers women and nonbinary students from all diverse racial and ethnic groups. We invite undergraduate and graduate students to participate in this engaging opportunity for personal, academic and social connection.
- Diverse racial and ethnic groups include, but are not limited to, Black/African American, Bi/Multiracial, Latina/x, Native American and Asian American students.
- Womanist Wednesdays are interactive tabling sessions that highlight topics related to gender identity, intersectionality and current events that occur on select Wednesdays on a monthly basis.
Requestable Programs and Panels
We work in collaboration with other departments to develop workshops, presentations, programs and conference sessions on topics that center women and gender. Contact us at email@example.com for more information.
- Black Women as Activists: What is activism? This interactive program explores the answer to this question. Facilitators will guide students in thinking about what activism, while highlighting the experiences of Black women, and illuminating the ways that this group has been at the forefront of social justice movements.
- Feminism 101: What is feminism, and who benefits from it? This engaging presentation answers this question, dispels myths, and helps participants explore different components of feminism. Facilitators will allot time for students to ask their most burning questions.
- Full Color Moment: Learn about and celebrate achievements and lasting legacies of Queer and Trans People of Color through a unique coloring book experience. As you enjoy the act of coloring, we will share with you how these individuals have left a mark on this world. This can stand as its own event or you can pair it with an event you already have in mind to enhance the experience. Presently, we have four coloring books to choose from: The Black Edition, The Trans Edition, The Latinx Edition and The Asian American Edition
- Intersectionality 101: Intersectionality is a theory that describes how different types of discrimination interact. This engaging workshop is designed to assist students in thinking critically about the various identities that peers may hold, in order to create and sustain spaces on campus where all people feel safe and valued.
- LGBTQ+ 101: This session will provide foundational knowledge of LGBTQ+ identities. Proper terminology and practices for emerging allies will be discussed. You'll learn steps in creating a more inclusive environment for LGBTQ+ individuals. This session is designed to be a precursor to LGBTQ+ Ally training and can be tailored to specific audiences/content areas. Previous tailored LGBTQ+ 101 at NIU have included police and public safety, intercollegiate athletics, College of Education and academic advising.
- The Period Project at NIU: This grassroots effort started in 2017, and addresses the impact of period poverty and period stigma whilst also promoting menstrual equity. In doing so, the project raises awareness around the financial burden that purchasing period products can cause students, addresses institutional barriers, destigmatizes the way we talk about periods, provides free period products to students, offers period education to individuals, groups and departments on campus, and creates and sustains an environment where every student with a period feels represented and supported. Request this presentation to learn more about the project and how you can get involved.
- Surthrival: Self Care and Identity: Facilitator(s) will employ storytelling and reflection activities designed to help you strengthen their self-care habits, emphasizing how one's gender, sexuality, and other aspects of identity, may impact their self-care routines.
- The Speakers Bureau: Made up of NIU students and community members, the Speaks Bureau features personal experiences as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer individuals, cisgender and/or heterosexual allies.
Contact UsGender and Sexuality Resource Center
105 Normal Road
DeKalb, IL 60115