My teaching and research interests include translation studies and practice, contemporary French and Francophone culture, comparative poetics, world literature, film studies and food studies. I am also a literary translator.
In addition to teaching a variety of courses on French and Francophone culture, translation and French language and conversation, I am also co-directing a summer study abroad program in Aix-en-Provence, France with my colleague Shannon Becker (email@example.com). Please email one of us or the Study Abroad Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
Book Translations (Prose Fiction, Poetry and Critical Theory)
- Colonial Trauma, Karima Lazuli (Polity Press, Forthcoming).
- Resolutely Black: Conversations with Fraonçoise Vergès, Aimé Césaire (Polity Press, 2020).
- Saying Poetry & Sleep, Jacques Roubaud (La Presse, Forthcoming).
- Seven String Quartets, Frédéric Forte (La Presse, 2014).
- The Truth about Marie, Jean-Philippe Toussaint (Champaign. IL: Dalkey Archive Press, 2011).
- Running Away, Jean-Philippe Toussaint (Champaign. IL: Dalkey Archive Press, 2009).
- Camera, Jean-Philippe Toussaint (Champaign. IL: Dalkey Archive Press, 2008).
* Reviews of these translations have appeared in The New York Times Book Review, The London Review of Books, The Guardian, Bookforum and Chicago Review, among others.
- "To France and Back: New Circuits in American Poetry." Postmodern Culture (May 2015).
- "Rachel Gavin, News of War: Civilian Poetry 1936-1945." SubStance, Forthcoming, November, 2019.
- Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley, French
- M.A., University of California, Berkeley, French
- B.A., University of California, Santa Barbara, French and Comparative Literature
Wirtz Hall 314