My primary areas of study are second language acquisition and psycholinguistics. My research draws from the fields of linguistics and cognitive psychology in order to gain a deeper understanding of variation in linguistic development among adults acquiring a second language in natural settings. I employ both behavioral and neurocognitive (event-related potentials) measures of language development and processing. My research is designed to have both theoretical (models of language and learning) and practical implications (language curriculum and program design).
Areas of Specialization
- Individual differences in adult second language acquisition
- Second language development in classroom and study-abroad settings
- Online processing of second language
- Acquisition of Spanish morphosyntax
- Faretta-Stutenberg, M. and Morgan-Short, K. (in press). Contributions of initial proficiency and language use to second-language development during study abroad: Behavioral and event-related potential evidence. In. C. Sanz and A. Morales-Front (Eds.), The Handbook of Study Abroad Research and Practice. London: Routledge.
- Faretta-Stutenberg, M. and Morgan-Short, K. (2018). The interplay of individual differences and context of learning in behavioral and neurocognitive second language development. Second Language Research, 34(1), 67-101. First published online: January 9, 2017, DOI: 10.1177/0267658316684903
- Ettlinger, M., Morgan-Short, K., Faretta-Stutenberg, M., and Wong, P.C.M. (2015). "The relationship between artificial and natural language learning." Cognitive Science. DOI: 10.1111/cogs.12257.
- Morgan-Short, K., Deng, Z., Brill-Schuetz, K. A., Faretta-Stutenberg, M., Wong, P. C. M., and Wong, F. C. K. (2015). "A view of the neural representation of second language syntax through artificial language learning under implicit conditions." Special issue article for Studies in Second Language Acquisition. DOI: 10.1017/S0272263115000030
- Morgan-Short, K., Faretta-Stutenberg, M., and Bartlett-Hsu, L. (2015). "Contributions of event-related potential research to issues in explicit and implicit second language acquisition." In P. Rebuschat (Ed.), Implicit and Explicit Learning of Languages (349-384). Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Morgan-Short, K., Faretta-Stutenberg, M., Brill-Schuetz, K. A., Carpenter, H., and Wong, P. C. M. (2014). "Declarative and procedural memory as individual differences in second language acquisition." Bilingualism: Language and Cognition, 17(1), 56-72.
- Faretta-Stutenberg, M. and Morgan-Short, K. (2011). "Learning without awareness reconsidered: A replication of Williams (2005)." In G. Granena et al. (Eds.), Selected Proceedings of the 2010 Second Language Research Forum: Reconsidering SLA Research, Dimensions, and Directions (18-28). Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Proceedings Project.
Courses Taught at NIU
Taught in Spanish
- Introduction to Spanish Linguistics (FLSP 480/580)
- Advanced Spanish Grammar (FLSP 301)
- Spanish Sociolinguistics (FLSP 483/583)
- Spanish Dialectology (FLSP 487/587)
Taught in English
- Applied Linguistics and the Romance Languages (FLAL 483/583)
- Methodologies for Teaching Foreign Languages at the University Level (FLMT 597)
- Ph.D., University of Illinois at Chicago, Hispanic Linguistics with Doctoral Concentration in Neuroscience
- M.A., University of Illinois at Chicago, Hispanic Linguistics
- B.A., University of Wisconsin-Madison, Spanish with Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages