- COVID-19 Career Resources
COVID-19 Career Resources
We have compiled career resources related to the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) outbreak and its impact on students and alumni related to job and internship search in an effort to provide timely information and strategies. Please contact us for support and assistance. We have staff available to serve you remotely.
A few thoughts from the staff of NIU Career Services:
- Evaluate your goals, your skills and accomplishments.
- Update your resume and LinkedIn.
- Know who's hiring and keep applying.
- Attend virtual career fairs and employer-sponsored events.
- Learn new job and internship skills for free.
- Grow your network and connect with NIU alumni.
- Take care of yourself and your loved ones.
Note: when consuming information online, please be mindful of the date content was created, whether it is continually updated, and the reliability of the source.
Job and Internship Search Advice and Strategies
Many of these sources provide advice and comprehensive strategies for networking, virtual interviewing, utilizing LinkedIn, connecting with employers, attending virtual career fairs, self-marketing, and more in a variety of formats.
- Dear Graduates, It’s Not Going To Feel OK, But It Will (Forbes)
- Graduating in the Age of Covid-19 Guidebook (The Washington Center)
- Getting the Class of 2020 Employed (LinkedIn)
- Resources and Tips During These Uncertain Times (Glassdoor)
- #GetHired Newsletter (LinkedIn)
- Job Searching During The Pandemic (LinkedIn)
- COVID 19 Resources (College Recruiter)
- 2020 Grad’s Guide to Getting Hired (LinkedIn)
- Essential Advice for Entry-Level Job and Internship Hunting During COVID-19 (Lindsey Pollak and Chelsea C. Williams)
- Coronavirus Job Search: What Jobs are Hiring and How to Get a Job During COVID-19 Outbreak (Self Made Millennial)
- At-Home Networking Strategies (Inside Higher Ed)
- Digital Networking During COVID19 (National Association of Colleges and Employers)
- Former Google Recruiter: Here’s How To Ace A Remote Job Interview (Fast Company)
- How to Look Your Best on a Webcam (New York Times)
- How to Use Cue Cards for Your Remote Interview (Higher Ed Jobs)
- Huskies Get Hired!
- Companies Are Still Hiring During COVID-19 - Here Are 75 That Want Your Applications Now (The Muse)
- Top 100 Employers Hiring List (Job-Hunt)
- Tracking Hiring Freezes and Who’s Hiring (Candor)
- #coronavirushiring (LinkedIn login required)
- Get Hired IL
- Indeed Job Board
Keep Learning Job and Internship Skills
- 14 Best Sites for Taking Online Classes That'll Boost Your Skills and Get You Ahead (The Muse)
- 198 Free Tools to Help You Through the Coronavirus Pandemic (Entrepreneur)
- Grow with Google Virtual Training
- Kevin Stratvert’s Technology Tips (YouTube)
- Interview Practice Software (Big Interview)
- NIU Students – Access the Career Services Learning Lab in Blackboard
Health, Wellness and Resilience
- Coping in the era of coronavirus: A Webinar for Students (American Psychological Association)
- I’m Having A Lot of Stress or Anxiety Because of Covid-19. What Can I Do? (National Alliance on Mental Illness COVID-19 Resource and Information Guide)
- How to Stay Physically and Mentally Healthy While COVID-19 Has You Stuck at Home (Time Magazine)
- How to Practice Self-Care During the Coronavirus Pandemic (Everyday Health)