Large Group Tours
Groups of 10 or more (e.g., middle school or high school classes, social clubs, etc.) are welcome to visit NIU's campus through a scheduled campus visit. These arrangements can be made by submitting the online visit form. Unless there are unusual circumstances, groups of fewer than 10 people are best served by participating in our daily tours and group information sessions. See daily visits.
Feel free to contact us at 815-753-0209 with any additional questions.
Please help us make tours a positive experience by adequately preparing your students for their visit. The most effective tours are those in which students show a genuine interest by being attentive to their tour guide and prepared with questions. We appreciate your help in making the most of your visit to NIU.
- Large group walking tours are available on most weekdays during the academic year and Monday through Thursday during the summer.
- Large groups should make arrangements at least four weeks in advance. Generally, only one group can be accommodated per day. Visits are scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis, and many groups arrange visits months in advance.
- Scheduling preference will be given to groups whose students are in 9th grade and above.
Asavailability permits, tours will be given to groups whose students are in 8th grade and below.
- Tours may be complemented by up to four pre-arranged special presentations. Please see our list of presenters to determine what is appropriate for your group.
- Please contact us no fewer than three days before your visit to confirm your schedule and number of attendees.
- Groups of 40 or more will receive a guided bus tour on their own bus with no more than two buses per group.
- Walking tours typically last 75 minutes. Participants should be prepared to walk outside, dress for the weather and be able to climb several flights of stairs. Tours can be modified to accommodate participants with disabilities.
- Students on tours must be accompanied by teachers or adult group leaders (at least one adult per 10 students) to ensure that students maintain good order,
- Residence halls will be shown only to walking tours of fewer than 45 guests and groups whose students are in high school and above.
- If you need an accommodation, please contact Amanda DeSimon at 779-212-8022 or email@example.com as soon as possible.
Cancellation Notice: If your tour needs to be canceled, it is essential that you notify us at least three days in advance for rescheduling purposes. Failure to do so may limit future scheduling availability for your organization.
Presenters for Large Group Tours
Large group tours may be complemented by up to four pre-arranged special presentations from the following groups/programs:
- A brief overview of admissions requirements, majors and minors offered at NIU, the makeup of the university, tuition and more.
- Financial Aid
- Latino Resource Center (LRC)
- Center for Black Studies
- Disability Resource Center
- Honors Program
- Student Involvement and Leadership Development (SILD)
- Student Panel
- An opportunity to ask current NIU students questions about college, life at Northern, scheduling and more.